× Members

DLA ADHD

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #285952 by lesleyb123
DLA ADHD was created by lesleyb123
Hi, we have been given 2 weeks to renew a DLA claim for my 12 year old Granddaughter with ADHD, Sensory Processing Disorder and Dyslexia. Due to the timescale we have to move quickly with this as they want the forms back by the 15th December. I`m worried we may miss crucial wording or important information regarding the above issues and how they affect her. . Any pointers to help save time scouring the internet would be greatly appreciated.

Lesley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #285996 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic DLA ADHD
Hi lesleyb123

I assume you are saying that you only have two weeks because of the time it has taken for the post to arrive. Ring the DWP immediately, explain the situation, and ask for an extension. I would expect them to give you an extra two weeks.

We have two guides on how to fill out the DLA review forms - on both mental health and physical health and you can find them here www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/dla.

Have a look at these and then come back if you have any questions. The best advice I can give you, is don't assume the person reading it will understand your grandaughter's complex needs. Explain even what seems obvious to you.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: lesleyb123

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #286009 by lesleyb123
Replied by lesleyb123 on topic DLA ADHD
Hi, BIS Thanks for your reply. Its a little more complex than it arriving late due to the post. The renewal forms were sent out to my Granddaughters father who had fraudulently claimed she was living with him in February and had gotten the payments changed to his bank. He did not send back the renewal forms and the award ended in November. The DWP/DLA did not contact my daughter to see if this was true so allowed him to have the benefit for 10 months. We have tried all ways to contact them; Telephone, letter, emails that bounced back and eventually our M.P. So for now they have allowed us to send in a renewal even though its passed the date. All very complicated. I actually think the DWP/DLA have messed up massively but dont know if we can ever get it resolved.
Lesley

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #286046 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic DLA ADHD
Hi lesleyb123

I'm so sorry that you find yourselves in this position. Tough for all of you. Despite the awful mess that has been created (not by you), I would get your daughter to ask for the additional time. I honestly don't think they will turn it down, especially when they are partially responsible for what has happened. I hope that your daughter kept the previous form, so she has something to work off. If she does, she will be able just to copy a lot of it, but make sure any examples are a mixture of old and current to show that your granddaughter's disabilities are ongoing. I know that it is obvious to you that they are - and will be lifelong problems, but you need to point out the obvious to someone who is looking at your daughter's case for the first time.

I really hope you manage to get this sorted and she gets the benefits she's entitled to again.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: lesleyb123

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid