× Members

Will the WCA changes affect only new claimants?

More
4 months 1 week ago #286422 by fibrofred
Hello

I'm just seeking the latest clarification from B&W on how the WCA Category Changes expected to begin in 2025 are going to affect only 'New' ESA claimants? I am currently on CB ESA Support Group until December 2024. I keep reading conflicting information in varied websites but have noticed in a couple of sites that it appears people currently found to be in LCWRA/ESA Support Group won't be reassessed.

For example:
www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/dwp-anno...nd-uc-claimants-2025.

Also the Government response actually states:-

"We have committed to ensuring no one currently assessed as having LCWRA will face a WCA reassessment, save in some exceptional circumstances. This will in effect abolish the WCA for this group..."

Grateful for any info that might clarify the confusion!

Thank-you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #286433 by Gary
Hi fibrofred

All I can say at this moment in time is keep an eye out for B&W newsletter, the back office will try and keep members up to speed with what is happening.

I cannot add to anything that you have not already read.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: ivyfox, fibrofred

More
4 months 1 week ago #286443 by AtlasShoulders
Replied by AtlasShoulders on topic Will the WCA changes affect only new claimants?
I submitted a Freedom of Information request to the DWP about this last month and they replied to me the other day saying:

"Up until 2025 when the new WCA changes announced at Autumn Statement in November 2023 are introduced, WCA reassessments will continue as normal for both the LCW and LCWRA groups depending on circumstances, including prognosis period and subject to available capacity in the system."

So basically, yes the reassessments CAN still go ahead before 2025, but if DWP are overwhelmed with new claims, their capacity to carry out these reassessments will be limited.

The question of "prognosis period" is also an interesting one. It may indicate that, rather than starting with the most overdue reassessments first, DWP may choose to prioritise those with the shortest prognosis period on the basis that these will be the most likely to have improved health and therefore be deemed Fit to Work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS, fibrofred, The Dog Mother

More
4 months 1 week ago #286484 by fibrofred
Replied by fibrofred on topic Will the WCA changes affect only new claimants?
Hi AtlasShoulders

Thanks for taking the time to provide this info.

They don't half make things confusing! I'm pretty much hoping that my reassessment will be done December '24 on the current reassessment style basis (i.e. without the removal of mobility category) which will mean I'll still be in the Support Group. By the time the next reassessment is due, the WCA will be scrapped and any changes (i.e. removal of mobility category) won't affect me on the basis of not being a new claimant.

Clear as mud I know, but that's my hope!

More
4 months 5 days ago #286551 by UB40 Rumrunner
Replied by UB40 Rumrunner on topic Will the WCA changes affect only new claimants?
I am confused and wondering: if someone is currently in the LCW group, then gets reassessed for LCW in 2024, and then found to have LCWRA, do they receive a higher form of payment if on universal credit?

And what would happen to the original LCW decision if it were found that DWP made a mess the first time around by awarding LCW incorrectly a long time ago?

Be grateful for any help or advice

More
4 months 5 days ago #286571 by Gary
Hi UB40 Rumrunner

If you go from LCW to LCWRA then you will get an additional £390.06 pm addedd to you UC applicable amount.

Your original decision will be superseded by the new decision.

Unless you appealed the initial decision when you were awarded the LCW on how you were at that time.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.