× Members

Update on cessation of ESA

More
8 months 1 week ago #286983 by Susie
Update on cessation of ESA was created by Susie
My husband has been in receipt of income based ESA in the support group for many years and I am on his claim as we are both disabled. He will reach state pension age a year before me. He has some pension savings in the People's Pension which we have just discovered is normally paid at age 65 whether he retires or not. He will soon be 65 and is obviously not expecting to receive his state pension until he is 66. If he retires at 65 there is insufficient cash as a lump sum to replace the amount that he will (I assume) lose if the ESA stops. I have no idea what to do now. I am assuming if he defers taking his People's Pension until he is 66, he will be treated as though he took the money when he was 65 and we will have to repay it? Any advice would be so gratefully received please x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #287027 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Update on cessation of ESA
Hi Susie

As you are in receipt of IR ESA then any income your partner receives will be deducted £ for £ from IR ESA.

I would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk in regards to your benefit entitlement once your partner reaches state pension age as your IR ESA will stop.

I would also advise you to speak to the Pension Service; www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pensions-and-retirement/pension-wise for advise about your pensions.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid