× Members

PIP for people with mental health condition who are caring for small children

• Juliedbevan@gmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
2 months 1 week ago #287838 by Juliedbevan@gmail.com
Has anyone had experience of single parents with young children getting awarded PIP for mental health conditions? DWP seem to believe if you can look after your children you can look after yourself

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287840 by BIS
Hi Julie

If you have used your actual email address on your profile - please go in and change it - as this can be seen anywhere on the internet. Follow the link to change it benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum

Yes, there are people who have been awarded PIP and look after young children, and I hope that someone may see your post and tell you of their experience. I don't think the age of the children makes any difference to the DWP. If someone is in a caring role (as a carer or a parent) - they will always look at how you can fulfil both roles. This can lead to an unfortunate bias - particularly around mental health issues. The problem with the DWP saying that a claimant who looks after children can automatically look after themselves is unfair when no one knows what they may or may not be doing for their children. Also, it's quite possible for a parent with mental health problems to be able to feed their kids but then have no energy or motivation to feed themselves. It doesn't mean they don't need as much support as a childless person with the same condition.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #287863 by Louise
Hi Julie,

I get PIP and care for a teenager, I have Mental Health condition as well as migraines and allergies. I have a family member that supports me and my teen and takes a huge amount of pressure off me.

PIP were more understanding then Universal Credit. PIP said that my family support me and UC said that because my family support then i was able to cope, which was not the case.

You have to really fight with DWP.

Good luck there are lots of people in the same position.

Take care
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, LL26

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.