× Members

Approaching State Pension Age

More
2 months 1 week ago #287982 by Beragon
Approaching State Pension Age was created by Beragon
Dear Advisors,

I never thought I would be asking this question as I have a terminal illness, but I received a letter from the DWP, inviting me to apply for my State Pension. It is a way off, but I want to know how it affects my benefits. I am sorry if you have been asked this question many times before. I believe I have to change my benefit to Attendance Allowance, but some say this has been abolished and other that it is replaced by Universal Credit.

The benefits I am on are

PIP ( I believe this will remain in place?? )

Universal Credit. This includes payment of rent to a private Landlord

ESA I brought this with me when I moved to a UC area and all these years later, I am still paid it. It is simply deducted from my UC.

I had a works pension, but cashed this in years ago to pay off debts.

Please can you advise me on what will happen and what I have to do.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #288010 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Approaching State Pension Age
B

Sorry to hear about your situation, forgive me for being somewhat tasteless but if your death is expected within a year then you should notify the DWP as you may automatically qualify for some benefits such as PIP Enhanced Daily Living.

You should apply for your State Pension.

Your PIP will not be affected and will remain in payment.

Your UC will stop unless you have a younger partner who can continue with the benefit. If it ceases then you should be able to claim Housing Benefit as a pensioner.

You may also be able to make a claim for Pension Credit depending on your circumstances.

Your ESA will stop.

Any pension you have previously exhausted will have no effect on any benefits you might now be due for.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.