× Members

HI EVERYONE Any advice welcome. UC/PIP

More
2 months 1 week ago #288029 by Mickyboy
HI EVERYONE Any advice welcome. UC/PIP was created by Mickyboy
My wife and I are both disabled and our joint mixed couple claim for ESA ceased on my birthday 21.1.24 when I became state pension age at 66. I get DLA as well at present so our total income is around £1,100 a month. At present we get help with council tax and water rates. CAB have adviced that we need to apply for UC jointly and PIP for my wife. My question is do we apply for one or both benefits at the same time and assuming these are succesful does our help with council tax and water cease. Also, can we apply for universal credit by post. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #288074 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic HI EVERYONE Any advice welcome. UC/PIP
M

The only issue you need to consider is whether you can handle the paperwork for both benefits at the same time.

The only potential issue with your Council Tax and AWater Rate reduction is whether you now qualify as these are means-tested benefits. If you qualify for UC then they should remain in payment.

No, you cannot apply for UC by post, it is either online or by calling the UC Claim Line.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mickyboy, KABTT

More
2 months 6 days ago #288123 by Jones1988
Replied by Jones1988 on topic HI EVERYONE Any advice welcome. UC/PIP
I am surprised the CAB didn't mention their assistance with claiming Universal Credit.
Phone the Citizens Advice " Help to Claim " phone number which is included in the website below.
The phone number is 0800 1448444.
Citizens Advice will organise your UC claim up to the first payment.
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/conta...ct-us/help-to-claim/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, KABTT

More
2 months 5 days ago #288163 by KABTT
Replied by KABTT on topic HI EVERYONE Any advice welcome. UC/PIP
We are in a similar situation with my partner being a pensioner as of October 23. It's been hell with the UC, transferring from ESA. You will most probably have to be on your partners UC claim - a joint claim if you need HB. My partner said he cared for me so he's on my online UC account as a partner but has not been told to do any job activity, he gets a full pension & doesn't claim Pension Credit. I get PIP but it's under review as I write. Partner has liver failure and a severe form of arthritis but we haven't claimed for PIP for him. As Gordon here says can you cope with doing two sets of PIP claims? It's hard going for us as it is with grandchildren and his elderly mum (93yo) to keep an eye on whilst having periods of v bad health. I'd say get what you and your partner are entitled to but be prepared for a lot of strain. Without this site I couldn't do it. The moral support here is as necessary as the specific benefit advice/guidance.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.