× Members

Permitted work

More
2 months 6 days ago #288097 by Treehugger
Permitted work was created by Treehugger
Hi hope someone can advise. I am 43 and epileptic. I have 3 different types of seizures. I am currently on permitted work. I am wondering what happens if you work say 20 25 hours a week? I know you aren't on permitted work anymore. But is all help with rent stopped etc? I couldn't work 40 I don't understand and don't know who to talk to. Tiredness brings my seizures on. I want to work more but completely paranoid from other people's comments. On one hand you get the stay away from me people, on the other hand you get called a liar. I also craft and would be nice if I could put something on etsy but I'm. Too afraid to get in trouble. I'm worried about my future. People are like you should have savings but if you have too much they will stop everything. I hope someone can advise me thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 6 days ago #288112 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Permitted work
T

If you work for 16 or more hours a week then your entitlement to ESA will stop, if your Housing Benefit payments are dependent on your ESA award then they will stop as well.

However, you could make a claim for UC which does not restrict the hours you can work and can include a Housing Element to replace your HB.

If you do this then make the claim for UC before you start working the extra hours so your existing ESA award can be transferred.

If your ESA Terminates before the UC claim is made then the award will not be transferred and you will not be able to apply for Limited Capability for Work unless you reduce your hours back down to under 16 hours.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Treehugger

More
2 months 6 days ago #288127 by Treehugger
Replied by Treehugger on topic Permitted work
Thank you so much for replying to me. Sorry can I ask you another question? Can you explain universal credit then and will I lose my pip if i go on it, I'm only planning on trying to work a little more 20-25 hrs, (I don't know if I don't try.) I'm afraid of losing everything
Thank you again Gordon

More
2 months 6 days ago #288134 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Permitted work
T

UC is a relatively new benefit intended to replace a number of what are now called legacy benefits, for example; ESA, JSA and Tax Credits, there are others.

One of the goals of UC is to break the perceived barriers between receiving benefits and working so it sets no limits on claimants working (see below).

Because it is an in-work benefit it also handles claimants being unable to work due to sickness or disability just as your ESA does now, the criteria are exactly the same.

So, the concept of PW does not exist in UC in theory you can work as much as you want although this will increasingly deducted from the amount of UC that you might receive until your UC payments are zero.

If you start to work longer hours then you need to be aware of the risks of your being reassessed as a result as there may be an assumption that your limitations are improving.

Please pay particular attention to my comments in my original post about claiming UC while you are still receiving ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Treehugger

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.