× Members

PIP: Daily diary

More
2 months 18 hours ago #288310 by ves
PIP: Daily diary was created by ves
Hi,
Reading the guides for PIP, I saw the daily diary form provided.
My concern is if this Daily Diary (if used), is a clear indication that I am following advice from B&W.
Is this a B&W specific form, or is it used generally elsewhere for including with PIP?
Many thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 16 hours ago #288323 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP: Daily diary
Hi Ves

The Diary is a form used by B & W, but I am sure other organisations tell people to use them. I don't think anyone has ever been asked at assessment where they got the idea from. It doesn't matter. People get advice all over the place. That is not an issue for the DWP - they just want to know whether or not you meet the criteria.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: ves, UB40 Rumrunner

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288533 by UB40 Rumrunner
Replied by UB40 Rumrunner on topic PIP: Daily diary
Do these daily diaries actually carry some weight so to speak if used as additional evidence come tribunal or even just at an application stage ?

I have multiple complex conditions and although good with spread sheets is still a nightmare to format. I am thinking keep it as simple as i can and on point ?

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288545 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP: Daily diary
Hi UB40 Rumrunner

I can't tell you how much weight they carry. They can be helpful in showing a picture of how someone's medical condition affects them on a day-to-day basis over a period of time. eg If someone has a condition that causes pain and affects their mobility throughout the day - a diary can provide a clearer picture to an assessor of how they are affected. Also, diaries can fill in the gaps that people might otherwise forget to mention.

I haven't ever heard someone say that their diary was held against them.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288549 by denby
Replied by denby on topic PIP: Daily diary
In our experienceUB40Rumrunner, yes they can give a surprising amount of weight to a diary even at application stage. I wrote them for poorly daughter's reviews. I kept trying to call her for several weeks, and diarised the outcome, eg no reply, [= too depressed to answer or too fatigued to hear phone etc], admitted not had a bath [many calls running] etc. I made my own simple table in Libre office writer, with columns for date/time, outcome, what this means. So even if you make a diary, it doesn't have to be in B&W format but is well worth doing.
Hope this helps
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, LL26

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #288551 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic PIP: Daily diary
Hi UB40 Rumrunner,
There are 2 reasons to create a 'disability diary'.

As per Denby, sometimes it is unclear what help is needed/when pain or fatigue kicks in, when you need to rest, when you have a panic attack etc etc. Many disabled people kind of muddle along, not totally aware of all of their difficulties. You can use the diary to note down times taken, cumulative effects of activities as well. Also note falls and stumbles, cuts, accidents, including dropping things, not making the toilet in time, fits etc.
Everything and anything, write it down, or enlist help from a partner or friend. Even if you only manage a few days or the diary has gap days where nothing is written this can be enormously helpful when filling out forms.
For example, writing in a form that you stumble several times per week is OK, but imagine how more powerful it is to write eg 'Last week I stumbled 11 times. For example on last Monday, I became breathless and dizzy. I had only walked to the kitchen into the hall. I had to grab onto the hall table to prevent myself falling to the ground. Later on the same day I fell over again as I rose from the toilet. It took me over 10 minutes to get back up, I was very out of breath, and the pain in my back was very severe...etc. etc.'
You can use the diary to help write the forms, some people send in a copy with the form or you can just use the information - with a diary it will help show how variable your problems with PIP activities are, it can help show that you need an aid/appliance or person to help.
If you note timings you will be able to check how long an activity takes and if you are too slow. Use your diary to comment on how well you did the activity and of course actual help you did have, and why that was good to have help/or maybe even with help you struggled. Write also about when you needed help and none was available, did you manage the activity, (how) or did you give up and omit doing it?
Having a diary, even if it is only a few limited entries also gives a contemporaneous record. This can be useful for a review form, and also if you need to appeal to a tribunal. A tribunal hearing and certainly a review could be several months later, and it would be a challenge for anyone to remember what's been happening a while ago. Your diary entries will be crucial evidence of how you were at the time of claim or review.
Of course diaries can also be good evidence for visits to your own GP or consultant, this may help with treatments/diagnosis etc .
This leads on to my second reason for keeping a diary. If you have a note of eg when you stumble, feel fatigued etc you may be able to see patterns. This might help you pace yourself or avoid aggravation of your health problems. Or of course it might absolutely prove that it really is totally random when your leg gives way, or you have a panic attack etc.

Whilst B&W produce a form, this is only for convenience. You can just use a notepad or a scrap of paper.

I hope this helps.
LL26

Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by LL26.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.