× Members

Autismn and Telephone Interview

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288739 by blackstone
Autismn and Telephone Interview was created by blackstone
I am reaching out for guidance and support as I face a forthcoming telephone interview for my Universal Credit review.

My main concern is that I can not express my needs in detail to the level required for an assessment to be made because of my mental health conditions. I am also concerned I may become emotional or angry due to my mental health conditions.

Firstly, I have recently as an adult been diagnosed with Level 2 Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), which significantly impacts my ability to engage in verbal communication, and I often struggle to speak or articulate my thoughts clearly and provide detailed explanations because I can not find the words to speak.

I also experience processing delays, requiring a long time to understand questions, especially those that are more complex. My literal interpretation of language can lead to misunderstandings, and the nuances of communication are particularly challenging, potentially resulting in difficult with providing relevant or appropriate responses.

My autism also makes it difficult for me to adapt to changes in conversation topics and to process information quickly, which is to be required during an interview.

Additionally, my sensory sensitivities will significantly impact my ability to focus during the call and answer questions fully.

I also have executive functioning issues that make organizing my thoughts and recalling specifics difficult, and there are topics I might unconsciously avoid, leading to crucial information being left out, which is a major concern of mine.

Additionally, I struggle with Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD), which limits my ability to discuss aspects of my health and daily routines. Such conversations can be highly triggering for me, and there’s a risk that I might unconsciously avoid discussing certain critical topics or details due to the distress they cause. This avoidance, coupled with my challenges in effectively expressing my needs and asserting myself due to CPTSD, also means that I might not fully convey my situation or inadvertently leave out crucial information during the interview.

Moreover, my CPTSD significantly limnits my ability to concentrate, further limiting my capacity to answer questions fully and accurately during a telephone interview, especially under the pressure of discussing sensitive topics.

The anxiety and stress due to my ASD and CPTSD, especially when discussing personal and sensitive topics, will also further limit my communication, clarity and engagement.

If this is a test of my ability to express my needs then due to my mental health conditions I literally will not be able to do that effectively. Currently, I am feeling very anxious and am deeply concerned that I may be assessed unfairly based on an interview format that does not align with my limitations to communicate effectively, and accurately convey how my disabilities effect me.

Given these circumstances, I am apprehensive about the upcoming review. I understand that an assessment of my situation is necessary, but the prospect is still highly distressing, and I am eager to find ways to navigate this process with as little additional stress as possible. I have seen it is possible to ask for a "paper review" and I am going to request this, so if anyone could help me add to this or help to find the best wordings to explain my needs and why I would have difficulty with an interview that would be great.

Are there any other strategies you recommend for communicating my needs and challenges effectively during the interview, or any accommodations that I might request to make this process more manageable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288762 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Autismn and Telephone Interview
Hi blackstone

I replied to your post yesterday about this topic. benefitsandwork.co.uk/kunena/10-dla-esa-...one-interview#288744

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.