× Members

Advice when asking for a reconsideration of PIP mobility

More
4 weeks 23 hours ago #291939 by BIS
Hi Lynz

Don't waste time saying you think the assessor made a genuine mistake in changing the distance - because I can guarantee they didn't - it would have been a deliberate decision. Just say that you disagree with changing the distance and then explain why.

Your writing is problematic because you have not provided any evidence that you can only walk 20 - 50 metres. Please don't think I don't believe you—I'm trying to explain how it will appear to the DWP. You have severe pain in your back and legs - you need to say what causes this and whether the pain is continuous or intermittent. I expect you have already mentioned the cause elsewhere on your form, but you need to remind them again. If you have difficulty standing up - say so - if you have difficulty taking the first step - say so - if you have to wait even to start moving because of the dizziness - say so. (I would make it clear which medication is causing this and why you can't change to something that doesn't have this side effect. If you walk more slowly than someone without the condition - say so. If the pain makes you breathless - say so. If you have to stop because of the pain - say so. If there is a danger without someone's arm, you would fall over - say so. If you have a regular example of where you have to sit or stop and hold onto suddenly - say so. Also, include the continence issues and the stress and mental anguish that you are constantly under, which will impede your mobility. You have to paint a clear picture of why you struggle to walk. And you should mention that your walking is not reliable - and you are not safe without support.

Now, if you have already told them that you go shopping (even with support), there is a danger that they will not change their mind—simply because of the distances involved in walking down a supermarket aisle and back again, or even from the disabled parking space in a car park and back again.

I would also mention that you are unable to because of trauma and your physical difficulties take other modes of transport.

The planning of a journey (I probably should have mentioned this one first) - I know you have given them information about your PTSD - you are right to emphasise that. Even in a couple of sentences, tell them how you are not able to even think about travelling alone, and that you need to have constant support. You say that you need them to "try and calm you down" - make sure you say what happens - flashbacks, shortness of breath, sweating, panicking, sudden stiffness of limbs, increase in pain, fear etc. You don't have to describe it all again - just list some of your feelings and or symptoms. At the moment, you sound terribly polite, and I get why because you have enough to cope with the fear and embarrassment - but you need to try and get the reader to understand just a bit of what it's like for you and the psychological distress you experience. I suspect that distress starts even before you leave the house - perhaps days before you have to leave, perhaps hours and the minutes before - so tell them about it. If you have to cancel because you have been unable to leave - say so.

Hope this helps a bit.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 21 hours ago #291945 by Gordon
L

Forgive me if my answer appears to be somewhat harsh, it is not intentional but I can only answer based on the information that you are providing.

Dealing with the Moving Around activity first.

I still do not see any specific reason that your walking distance is limited to less than 200m let alone 50m.

You start your latest post by saying "Physically my body is able to walk", you refer to your car as a "safe place" but this activity takes no notice of this only the physical problems that restrict the distance that you can walk.

You mention you continence but also explain that you wear suitable underwear. You travel by car so you are able to leave your house for reasonably long periods of time so it is difficult to see how this issue limits your walking. It is also reasonable to assume that when you go out by car that you are going somewhere and will need to walk when you get there.

You say you get dizzy and have severe pain in your legs but still do not explain how these limit your walking, you appear to be counting on those assessing you to understand how these are limited, they will not. So, how do these issues prevent you walking 49m and not 51m. What happens as you approach 50m? Are you always affected or just some days? Are there examples of you walking more than 50m that might be assumed, for example; do you go shopping.

Moving on to the Going Out activity.

Your latest post suggests that you do not meet the criteria for the 10 points that you gave actually scored as you do not appear to have any restrictions with leaving your home.

However, and again I am only going by what you have said, you do not appear to meet the criteria for being unable to follow` a route. You make no mention of the type of journey you are undertaking, an unfamiliar journey or a familiar one.

You say you need to have someone to keep you calm and focussed but do not describe the issues you would have if that person was not with you, specifically you make no mention of one of the prime requirements of these activities, namely that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress"

My concern is that you could challenge the Mobility award and end up with no points at all by showing that you do not meet the criteria for the points you have scored and fail to show you meet that for points that hope to score for.

I want to be clear, I am not saying that you do not meet the criteria for a higher award, I am assuming that you do but you are not showing it in the information that you have provided. One of your problems is that you are mixing the issues that you have between what are two very separate activities, this almost certainly devalues the testimony that is actually relevant.

Have you used our PIP Claim guide? Even if you have I would recommend you going back to it to make sure that you fully understand the criteria that you need to meet.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lynz

More
4 weeks 17 hours ago #291953 by Lynz
This helps a lot and makes so much sense the way you explain it. I will take all he points you've said into what I write
Thank you

More
4 weeks 17 hours ago #291954 by Lynz
This he's a lot thank you

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.