× Members

Post-PIP phone assessment - getting the report

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #290212 by SJP
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I didn't wake up until after 9am this morning so when I called the line was already busy! After a short time on hold I decided to try again later. I didn't get a chance to call until around 4:30 and surprise surprise the phone lines were still busy. I was kept on hold until 5:32 and then suddenly there was 'a fault' and I got cut off. Needless to say when I called back the phoneline was closed!
I will try again tomorrow!! I definitely need to see the full report. The award notice is full of inaccuracies and conveniently they have missed off the reasons I gave for whether I can or can't do something. I wasn't expecting anything above the standard award for mobility but the daily living I had calculated (even conservatively) using the page on here that I should at least get a standard rate.
It is a very frustrating process but I'm not the first to be given a zero score and I won't be the last!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #290219 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Post-PIP phone assessment - getting the report
Hi SJP,
It is seriously frustrating trying to get through to them. When I have to do it, I try to plan ahead and have something else to do at the same time. I then focus on that activity whilst I let the DWP play music in the background - it is a lot less frustrating than just sitting there waiting and getting all wound up.
(At work we have devised a way of taking bets as to how long they are going to take to answer, I normally go for a long time and then I can at least feel smug as more optimistic others fall by the wayside :P )
Wishing you success getting through today,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: C

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #290266 by pomaus
so my PA4 just came through and it was far better than anticipated.
I am actually surprised as the HCP scored me higher on some tasks than what I anticipated and said that I could do.
for example I said that I can mobilise on most days 100m. However, on a couple of days I can only manage 20m when nerves are trapped.
The HCP disagreed with me and said I can only manage 20m because I am in severe pain all the time no matter how far I can walk....
My only disappointment was the recommendation l for a review in 3 years time, So I have written to PIP and said whilst I agree with the descriptors I don't agree with the review time since I have suffered severe mental health disorders for over 30 years and I now have degenerative spinal disorders on top which will only worsen over time, and therefore believe the award should be longer to save further Psychological trauma I suffer from these reassessments.

will see what the outcome is
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #290277 by Chris
Good luck pomaus, and thank you for the update.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #290280 by River
And an update from me - as I expected following the report (though was still holding my breath) I've been granted enhanced daily living and enhanced mobility. It's for just under four years - the report had recommended three. (This happened the previous time too, the decision was for one year longer than the report recommended then as well.)

I am pleased - in theory maybe I could ask for a longer award because again the reason seems to be that I will have treatment that might help (I've been referred for further surgery), but it's not going to cure my condition. However I think I will take a break from stressing now and accept the decision.

Thanks again to all involved with this forum and the guides. I'd advise anyone to read those guides super-carefully and follow them to the letter, they are worth their weight in gold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Catherine, C, SJP

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #290312 by SJP
Hi Catherine,

Thank you for your tips - although I am only reading your message now and I did manage to get through to them this morning! Having made numerous calls to different departments over recent months I am quite good at having my laptop open to scroll the internet and my phone next to me playing the hold music!! I used to be very good at multi-tasking but sadly that is no longer the case so I can't try and do an activity that requires concentration but I can easily look at websites until my call is answered!

I phoned the number on my letter and chose the 'if you disagree with our decision' option. The man who answered the call was only able to complete the MR there and then so I had to be put through to someone else. When my call was transferred I had to key in various information to verify my identity. And then when the call was finally answered I had to go through it all again!! Aside from that my report has apparently been printed (I was put on hold while the lady who answered went off and did it!) and should arrive in 7-10 days. I'm hoping it will be closer to 7 but in the meantime I will start reading the guides on how to complete the MR form.

One thing that baffles me (and I think there is another thread about this) is that I have a full driving licence and that I have a car. The report says that I am able to take my daughter to school, to go to medical appointments and to go to the supermarket. There is then a long sentence about how much skill is involved in driving and therefore I do not need any help. What has been totally missed was the fact that I only take my daughter to school if no-one else is available (so a maximum of once every few weeks). I do go to GP appointments but I have been at the same surgery for 25 years and it is a drive I have done many many times. If I have to go to a medical appointment anywhere else my husband or son take me. As for the supermarket I only go there late in the day when I know it will be quiet, I always go to the same store and I always park in the same spot as it is a little wider than others! If that space is not free I don't park. Most of the time my shopping is delivered.

Today I had to collect my daughter from school and on the way home I was getting quite anxious with the traffic. I said this to my daughter and her response was 'Mum, you can't complain about the traffic because you are the traffic'. That made me smile and she was right in her own way!! I then stopped at a red light and didn't notice when it changed to green. I also stopped partly on a pedestrian crossing - the traffic ahead had stopped sooner than I had anticipated and then the pedestrian light changed to their favour. That also distressed me and I found myself explaining to my daughter how I shouldn't have blocked the crossing and I felt bad. Again she calmed me down and agreed that I was in the wrong but also that people do make mistakes and the pedestrian was still able to cross the road.

Anyway I am digressing! But my point is that yes I do have a full licence and yes I do drive but that even on short, local trips on roads I know I can easily become anxious and distressed. So what I told the assessor and what she interpreted are two different things!

I think the report is likely to make me quite angry and annoyed but once I have it I will know what I am dealing with and respond accordingly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, C

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.