× Members

Should I pay for a doctor's letter?

More
5 months 1 week ago #290410 by Alison
Should I pay for a doctor's letter? was created by Alison
Hi

I am undergoing assessment for my ESA benefits. I visited my doctor yesterday and she was supportive but said that they charge for a letter. I'm willing to pay if it's worth it but the ESA50 says not to pay for evidence. It says '"do not ask or pay for new information". I'm not sure what is meant by new information.

I suspect you'll tell me the more evidence I can get the better. That's my inclination. I'm just worried about doing the wrong thing so would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

Alison

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 1 week ago #290445 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Should I pay for a doctor's letter?
Hi Alison

There is no 'right or 'wrong' thing to do here. It comes down to personal choice.

The DWP doesn't want people to pay for letters because if they require further information from a GP, they will send a form, and the GP will be paid to fill it out. They don't want to burden GPs and nor do they want GPs to complain that they are trying to deal with thousands of benefit claimants asking for letters. They don't think people should pay for 'new' information as there is an assumption that the DWP will already have enough from the start of the claim.

Some GPs refuse to write letters on behalf of their patients to the DWP unless the DWP contacts them first. You are fortunate to have a GP willing to write a letter (albeit for a price).

Should you pay for a letter? As I said at the beginning, it comes down to personal choice, but I would consider these things:-

1. If you haven't had a recent update from a medical professional in the last three years, then a GP update would be useful. The DWP then can't say that you haven't had contact with the medical services.

2. If you pay for the letter, you will have the chance to read it and check that there is nothing in it that you don't want the DWP to see. If the DWP decides they want an update on you and they ask your GP to fill in a form, you will have no control over what they say, and the chances they won't even give you a copy or keep one in your records. A couple of members here have found doctors saying things they weren't expecting and only finding out about it during their assessment.

3. Will your doctor say anything useful? This will depend on your GP - some write wishy-washy letters that aren't that helpful. However, it's important to check they haven't said anything damaging. If you are allowed to say what you would like in the letter - do so - if you get the chance to agree on what the doctor will put in the letter - do so. If you get the final letter and don't like it - don't use it. You might waste 40 or 50 pounds - but never submit a letter with anything that can count against you. Don't expect the doctor to be able to comment about things they could not have witnessed - such as how you manage at home!

4. Whatever you decide - accept that was the right answer for you at the time. It's no good wishing you had sent a letter if you decide not to - or think you shouldn't have sent a letter in if you decide to pay.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Charlie, Elle

More
5 months 1 week ago #290450 by Gaddy
Replied by Gaddy on topic Should I pay for a doctor's letter?
Hi Alison,

I recently had an ESA review and came to the conclusion that as I had a supportive GP it was worth paying for a letter to support my claim. It was £30 well spent in my mind to try and add weight to the details I was providing. The review went well in my case but who knows if that had anything to do with the letter!
Wishing you all the best.

Gaddy
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Elle

More
5 months 1 week ago #290465 by Alison
Replied by Alison on topic Should I pay for a doctor's letter?
Thanks for the advice, Gaddy. I'm glad your review went well.

Best wishes

Alison
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaddy

More
5 months 1 week ago #290474 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Should I pay for a doctor's letter?
Hi Alison, the only thing I would add to BIS's sound advice is: never be put off by DWP's put-off's. They do not want you to make a good case, they do want minimum reading...
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Charlie, Elle, Alison

More
5 months 1 week ago #290487 by Elle
Replied by Elle on topic Should I pay for a doctor's letter?
Hi Alison,

Five years ago I requested my GP to write an overview of my general health addressed ‘to whom it may concern’

I supplied GP with a bulleted A4 page that contained the necessary dates of operations, procedures and treatments. The GP was then able to cross check all the info from her computer. The GP then included OT adaptions, and visits in their letter also.

I have since added a few new OT aides and new dates for my last review 3 years ago. (2nd letter).

I now find this process very manageable I see it as part of my journal.

I keep my personal notes updated for next review as I forget the dates very easily.

In my opinion, and for peace of mind, it definitely helps to alleviate some of the stress once the assessment review form drops through the door as you have the necessary dates to hand.

Hope this helps.

**Ps keep the original signed letter and send a photocopy with your name, national insurance number and date of birth at the top.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS, Alison

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.