× Members

PIP - changes 91 day alert

More
4 months 1 week ago #291415 by taniaw67
PIP - changes 91 day alert was created by taniaw67
Long, like a book - freaking out: It's starting to make me unstable and risk of going into a full Bipolar relapse. I had just calmed down after an appeal that awarded ongoing enhanced daily living and mobility—the first review to be in 2033. During the process, I had to go on higher-dose medication, and Lorazapam was added.

Now, all this stuff in the papers about PIP changes and watching you are increasing my paranoia and symptoms (smell, hearing, hallucinations) by the day - I have two children, one with autism, to stay stable for.

I have BIpolar
Diabetes 2
Bursitis, hip
Chronic back and neck pain
Functional neurological disorder

Taking
Tramadol
Amitriptaline
Quetiapine
Lamotrigine
Sertraline
Pericyazine
Simvastatin

My autistic son, as he gets older (12 now), he's having a lot of meltdowns. Will wake in the night in a panic, distressed - comes in with me. So I don't always get a good sleep! He thinks he doesn't deserve to live and will hurt himself. On top of my health, it's a lot.

One of the reasons I think they are looking at this (apart from keeping the silent majority/gammons happy/rubbing their hands in glee) is the rise in mental health claims. Of course, they have increased because it took a long time for mental health to be treated equally as physical health.

Now, minimalising mental health as 'life's daily ups and downs' as anyone else.

I wish it were; it would be lovely to work - but how can I when it triggers relapses, self-harm (cutting/mini-overdoses), paranoia, inappropriate behaviour with people, and a total inability to know when I can function? Not like you can say to an employer - I might turn up, I might not, depending on symptoms that day. I can't say 'in two weeks on Tuesday, I won't be well'.
Then there is the lack of care, social support, and practically non-existent NHS services. It is easy to say that we could get improved access to mental health help, counselling, and various services. I should be getting social services care - but I'm not.

Currently, it takes three months to be seen in mental health services. It would probably cost more than the current benefits bill.

Hiring 3,500 'spies' is a waste, too, as fraud is minimal.
I wonder why they've not mentioned tapering PIP off like child benefit—at the moment, even very wealthy people can claim.

Instead, they seem to be torturing those with the least. The new things I've seen today are:
Your financial details from HMRC, banks, etc.
Able to come into your house to see what you have and take it.
All the voucher rubbish.
People think those unable to work or go out much shouldn't have TVs, mobiles, etc. So, we are supposed to sit in the dark, have no contact with the outside world, and have nothing to distract us from pain/mental health stress.

Yes, I do have a TV with a subscription. I have 12-year-old twins, and I'm often in bed, so they need entertainment, too.

We all have mobiles to keep in touch with each other, and the children have to use them at school for various lessons. It all costs money, and being unable to work, rather than not wanting to work, I feel they are a necessary expense.

I have a cleaner thrice weekly for a couple of hours for my safety and the kids'. That's £100 a week in itself.

A quote: 'When people say economically inactive. I hear a life that is not worthy of life'.

==================
Stuff like this is going to cause a rise in suicides and self-harm to many people.

A 91-day alert has been issued to all personal independence payments (PIP) claimants as significant changes are on the horizon. The UK Government is set to implement a major revamp of the benefits system to cut down PIP expenditure. More than three million Brits receive these support payments, designed to aid those with conditions that require help with daily tasks or cause mobility issues. However, under the proposed changes, some could see their funds withdrawn. The new system, which has sparked controversy, may result in some claimants receiving one-off grants or vouchers instead of cash.
etc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #291451 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP - changes 91 day alert
Hi Taniaw67

At the moment, your PIP is due to be reviewed in 2033 and I would hold onto that.

The proposals that are being talked about by the government and in the press are still proposals and there will will be many stages before or if any of them are put in place.

We have no control over what the government says, what the press writes, or what appears on social media platforms or the general internet.

The one thing you can control is what you read or watch. So limit what you read or listen to. B&W will let you know through the newsletter as changes come in.

And please don't think I am not sympathetic to your worries. It's precisely because I know the damage it does to my own mental health and those that I have to care for if I read or listen to much of this stuff.

Just try and look after yourself and your precious kids and put this stuff to one side.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Wendy Woo

More
4 months 1 week ago #291453 by micksville
Replied by micksville on topic PIP - changes 91 day alert
That 91 day thing is an irresponsible click bait grabbing headline originating in Birmingham Live News. No such warning has been given as far as I am aware and if it had been B and W would have reported it on their news page. They haven't. It might be referring to the 3 month consultation period announced on 30th April or thereabouts, but even the DWP aren't that arrogant as to launch a consultation and simultaneously announce they are bringing the proposed changes in regardless of what the consultation reveals. ( Even though they usually do intend to bring new rules in regardless of what the public and stakeholders feed back to them via the consultations). But to actually announce that in advance and thus admit to riding roughshod over the consultation, even they aren't that stupid. I would therefore ignore any news you hear from local and national media and trust only B and W and other trusted disability charities to update on these proposed changes. The same news outlet also stated "Major changes are being made around who gets Personal Independence Payments (PIP) with everyone issued with a two-month warning." months hardly equates to 91 days so take these reports with a large dose of salt
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Wendy Woo, Charlie

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.