× Members

New PIP proposals and Motability - just thinking

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #291637 by DarrenL
I’ve just been reading a few things about the governments proposals on PIP. And of course the replies people have been writing on articles.

On thing that doesn’t get a mention is the Motability scheme. If the Government/DWP do strip away cash payments and reassess people that could possibly mean some loose a higher rate mobility.

Now my question is this, what would happen to Motability if thousands lost their right to a vehicle or scooter. It could possibly sink the scheme and they’d be inundated with used cars.

I myself have a Motability car and am thinking this could be the last car I have. I can’t buy it from Motability as they stopped selling them to customers in December, 2023.

Has anyone else thought this or noted not many comments about the scheme in light of possible changes?

I’d say Motability will be pressuring Government hard not to strip away to many points from people!

DarrenL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #291647 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic New PIP proposals and Motability - just thinking
Hello Darren.

I have approved your post in the hope that now it is visible others will jump in with their thoughts on this one. Personally I find the whole nature of the proposals so abhorrent that I am trying not to think and hoping the whole thing will simply not come to fruition.

Best wishes,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #291649 by Bud
Darren, I did wonder if they’d get rid of the car scheme, make PIP a means tested benefit, & stop PIP at retirement seeing as there’s AA. But I’m sure too many of their own people would lose out if that was the case, so I can’t see it happening myself. I can imagine them giving out vouchers for travel by public transport or taxi, for those that are capable. They seem to be more interested in taking away cash for our basic needs.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #291653 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic New PIP proposals and Motability - just thinking
agree, its a frightening proposal they have put forward, reminiscent of a time gone past, where we were more marginalised, and could have been worse if a certain regime happened

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #291657 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic New PIP proposals and Motability - just thinking
agree, its a daunting aspect that hopefully will not come to fruition. Those of us who moved to the EU, who were advised all will be well for our health, wellbeing and that our DLA as it was then, would not be affected, more so when on a LIFETIME AWARD. Since then those under that situation have had to jump thru sooo many hoops. It is stupid enough that one looses the mobility component, as tho ones mobility changes just because one moves away to help ones health. So they pay more out of the DLA/PIP, to keep mobile. If that was to be removed those living abroad would have to return back to the UK and get bogged down with more beaurocracy and inefficiency due to lack of NHS help. Its a ticking time bomb this ridiculous notion that our govts are considering implementing. To me I feel as tho the govts and society nowadays want to get rid of us in any way they can and marginalise us even further and remove any financial help they can get away with. Modern life, modern society its backwards thinking.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #291670 by DarrenL
Thanks for approving Catherine, I agree the proposals are truly awful. I myself have a Motability car and have been thinking a lot about it and what happens if I loose it and any cash payment. I am profoundly Deaf, has osteoarthritis, degenerative spine, compressed cervical discs and hip/should/leg pain daily. I take medication everyday for it but I am wondering how at 58 these proposals will affect me and panicking about it. How do I find work at 58 being Deaf and in pain!

But yes, it would be a good discussion about Motability, if loads of people loose their right to enhanced PIP Motability could go under as they need our support to carry on trading. Will they allow us to buy our cars or take them away? Who knows! :(

Thanks again for the approval :)

DarrenL

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.