× Members

ESA to UC

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #291760 by Ukstevo7
ESA to UC was created by Ukstevo7
I’m disabled and get the ongoing pip high rates until 2030. But I also get esa and the disability premiums I think there is 2.

I also claim housing benefits for my Shared ownership house

I know that there is a move to push everyone on UC without any help that esa has for the disabled. I haven’t got a letter yet saying when I have to move over. But I have done many of the benefits calculators online and they all say I only get around £750pm atm but I actually get more than that with the premiums, so it says I get the same tho on UC and understand that it will have that transitional protection.

My questions are 1. Even tho the calculations online are wrong by quite a bit are they covered by the real amounts they pay into my bank atm. And also I understand that every yr that it increases with inflation I would not get that. But what about when the rent goes up? As that would eat into the transitional but take the money from what I have to spend and live off to top up the rent. Or is housing rent increase not taken from that?

Also I am getting confused with when I might even get the letter. I read lots places that it’s sep 2024. But then also I’m reading that if u get esa and housing benefits but not tax credits then it’s not until 28/29? I am just on esa and get rent and council tax paid. But I don’t get any tax credits or have children. I live alone.

It’s so confusing and I’m stressed out with the constant attacks on disabled people, from the losing money to move on UC and then also trying to make pip like vouchers. It’s cruel and we are the most vulnerable in need of help.

I hope someone has some answers. And I’m hoping new government might change this attitude towards disabled and vulnerable.

Thnx
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #291808 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA to UC
Hi UKstevo7

I will try and answer your questions from experience, for claimants on ESA in the support group but no other premiums (SDP + EDP) will be better off receiving UC providing they are placed in the LCWRA group.

For claimants in receipt of ESA support and receiving SDP and EDP premiums will be worse off claiming UC.

With transitional Protection (TP), initially you should be no worse off moving to UC but over time with cost of living increase to benefits and rent increases if you claim the housing element your TP will over time reduce to nil.

The government brought forward the timeline to move claimants on IR ESA over to UC, but there is now an election coming up, so things may change again, keep an eye out for B&W's newsletter.

As for PIP vouchers 🤬

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ukstevo7, KABTT , Charlie

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #291817 by Ukstevo7
Replied by Ukstevo7 on topic ESA to UC
I just hope we get a new government and dwp that doesn’t aim to make disabled especially physically vulnerable who’s life’s are so difficult even worse by trying there best to make sure we can’t afford to heat or live even a pathetic life alone. They want us to freeze and starve or have 0 cash to by anything to make your life less boring. Been stuck in a house alone so much u need to pay for entertainment, audio books , streaming, games etc. but they seem to want us to just hurry up and get off this world. It’s the most cruel for disabled people this last 15 yrs. and it’s getting so much worse. Why does UC not have the premiums for been servely disabled? Guess they don’t have to bother as most of us are 2 Ill and tired to protest. I just want the money to stay as it is , I don’t need more but the way they are taking it down and down, and then trying to also turn pip into vouchers or give receipts and they will give the money back. Okay how would that work when my gas is on all day because of pain? Do I send them my gas bill to pay? They took my warm home discount away last yr as they said they have changed it and now my house is classed as eco so I don’t get it. I hate this government. But dunno if the next would be just the same but different colour ties.

We need a famous or highly popular politician to take the disability cause and get everyone marching for that instead of the rubbish they do most the time. We have no1.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #291828 by Anneb
Replied by Anneb on topic ESA to UC
Hi Ukstevo7

I’m just a forum member so hope I can respond to your query. I am Appointee for my son who is in the same boat as you. There seems to be a lot of us in the same position now as you with regard to this forced migration from IR ESA to UC with Housing Benefit, ie in IR ESA in Support group with both the disability premiums and housing benefit which, although protected in the “transitional payment” in the migration over to UC, will end up over time being lost. The disability premiums are to help with the extra costs of disability and also when the person lives on their own and doesn’t have a Carer getting Carer’s Allowance. So how can it be right that the DWP are really in the end taking away those payments when the person moves to UC ? Doesn’t that show that UC is not a benefit for those who are disabled ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ukstevo7, KABTT

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292007 by Ukstevo7
Replied by Ukstevo7 on topic ESA to UC
That’s what I don’t understand, it’s like the most in need got this on esa , uc is meant to just be a more streamlined way to pay, but it’s apparently better off for everyone except the most disabled, and single. I have so many extra costs. Having to have heating on when it’s mild because of pain etc. having to always drive to get outside, having to pay for everything to be delivered, pay for gardener to mow the lawns etc. things you can do normally but because I’m physically disabled I have to pay for all these extra things, but now they think I can afford all that on less when it’s already tight. And also wanting to turn pip into vouchers , or just give u money back on disability aids. They want disabled to just not exist, they put us all down as scrounging and lump us in with the worst of society. It’s cruel and I don’t understand why no1 is fighting for the disabled. Seems to be people fighting for everything else on the planet except us. We truly are invisible 🫥

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.