× Members

Nasty neighbours

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #292094 by Michellecar
Nasty neighbours was created by Michellecar
I have horrible neighbours. That I’ve had to report to housing for harassment of me.
Long story short I heard him talking about calling benefits agency about me . I have no clue how he could know about me or my benefits situation unless he has received some of my mail . This has terrified me I’m doing nothing illegal yet the thought of being investigated terrifies me . Does anyone have any suggestions please. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #292107 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Nasty neighbours
Hi Michellecar

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

Your question is outside the remit of the forum, we would advise you to seek advice from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #292114 by Mr B
Replied by Mr B on topic Nasty neighbours
Hi Michellecar

I was very sorry to hear that you have horrible neighbours and have had to report them to housing for harassing you. I too, in my time - though fortunately some years ago now - have had "nuisance neighbours" and have had to report them to housing (I am a council tenant.) Firstly, you've done exactly the right thing in reporting them for harassment. Secondly - and this is most important - do NOT assume that the person knows ANYTHING about you or your benefit situation! They themselves may have simply assumed you were "on benefits." You've told us that this person is horrible and as we know horrible people can say horrible things. To give an example one neighbour once told me he'd report me to the benefits office. Now this person knew nothing about my benefit situation or even that I was on benefits because I had not told ANY neighbour about this. I simply told him "You can report me to whoever you want as I'm not doing anything wrong." He responded that he HAD contacted them. To this I replied "Then why have I heard nothing from them about this?" These people are not pleasant and they lie and bluff. Do not be cowed by them. You've told us you've done nothing wrong so even if this muppet did report you then nothing wrong would be found. You should perhaps though report to housing what you overheard him saying if you haven't already. I reported to housing what the man said to me about contacting the benefits agency and about other things he said about or to me. He then received a visit from housing and then a very strong letter from them, and this resolved the issue. If there are any further incidents or comments make a note of them including the date and time, also tell housing about them. My own council has procedures and specially trained staff to deal with nuisance neighbours and your landlord may well have too. Also your landlord may have contacts with the police and other agencies, mine certainly does.

I hope this helps in some way and just to reiterate you've done exactly the right thing in reporting these people to housing. There's a very good chance they'll be able to sort this out for you though it may take a little time, it did for me and I had to make more than one report to the council but it worked. Good luck and don't give up!

Kind regards

Mr B
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.