× Members

Means tested benefits and Discretionary Trusts

More
3 months 1 week ago #292573 by Sasha
I live with my parents who are in their 80s. In 2010, they wrote a will and were advised by a solicitor to leave my inheritance in a discretionary trust. The solicitor told them that the trust could be used for anything I needed/wanted.

Since then, Universal Credit has been introduced with new rules and I was rather alarmed to read this on a legal website:

“Discretionary trusts were previously disregarded for the purposes of income-based benefits. However, this is no longer the case: these trusts are increasingly being treated as deprivation of capital.”

It seems that trusts now have to include specific terms if they are not going to affect means tested benefits.

I will be one of two trustees and will be the main beneficiary and I wonder if under the new rules, I may now not be allowed to be a trustee if I need to claim means tested benefits because I will have direct access to the money in the trust.

It is so difficult to find a solicitor who knows anything about this. Are you able to give us any concrete information ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #292606 by Chris
Hi Sasha,

I would see if you could obtain any advice using the link below:

advicelocal.uk/

Hope it helps - Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 months 1 week ago #292609 by dancer22
Replied by dancer22 on topic Means tested benefits and Discretionary Trusts
Renaissance legal. I have attended free webinars held by this lot. They seem to have knowledge in this area. renaissancelegal.co.uk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.