× Members

Carers allowance - death of carer

More
3 months 3 days ago #292795 by Kevsue19
Carers allowance - death of carer was created by Kevsue19
I’m not sure if anyone will know the answer to this but sadly my 61 year old husband has passed away suddenly and I’m not sure if I have to cancel the carers allowance he gets for looking after me. I’m also not quite sure how I will manage without him, not only because we have been married for 40 years but also because he did everything for me. I think when the death is registered then that is sent to all the benefit agencies - carers allowance was the only thing we claimed apart from my PIP as we don’t qualify for other benefits. I just can’t face holding on the phone to DWP for hours. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 days ago #292803 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Carers allowance - death of carer
Hi Evelyn

I am so sorry for your sudden loss. Absolutely devastating. Sending you a virtual hug.

I took this information from the government website www.gov.uk/after-a-death/report-without-...n%20Centre%20instead.

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
Contact the bereavement service to cancel the person’s benefits and entitlements, including their State Pension. They’ll also check if you’re eligible for help with funeral costs or other benefits.

DWP Bereavement Service
Telephone: 0800 151 2012
Textphone: 0800 731 0464
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 151 2012
British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Welsh language: 0800 731 0453
Welsh textphone: 0800 731 0456
Find out about call charges

I don't think you will have to spend the sort of time on the phone as you would direct to the benefits office.

Wishing you all the best.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevsue19

More
3 months 2 days ago #292805 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Carers allowance - death of carer
Dear Evelyn, so very sorry for your loss,

When having to deal with my sister-in-law's death I found the 'Tell us once' service very good. This covers council things like bus passes and other Gov't stuff like driving licences as well as state benefits.

As to how you will manage, I suggest you call your local council Social Services Dept and ask to be assessed. They have a duty to assess whether you should be provided with eg carer visits. Paying for whatever is organised will depend on your finances.
Don't be lonely either, there are organisations like Cruse, and your GP may have a 'social prescriber' service too.
best wishes,
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS, Kevsue19, Anji

More
3 months 1 day ago #292813 by Kevsue19
Replied by Kevsue19 on topic Carers allowance - death of carer
Thank you for your kind wishes and help. Since posting I have seen the funeral director and she tells me not to panic and she will help me - she is a friend I have known since we were5 so I trust her! The worse that could happen is having to send money back
As for my review, if I get a date in the next month I actually would feel sorry for the assessor as she would just get crying from me
Denby I had a phone assessment during covid but it was quite short and all I was given were aids!
I am lucky that I have lots of close family and friends who are all supporting me - my house currently looks like a florist
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Wendy Woo, Anji

More
3 months 1 day ago #292821 by Wendy Woo
Replied by Wendy Woo on topic Carers allowance - death of carer
Hello Evelyn,

So very sorry to hear this. I remember one of your previous posts was about your "holiday of a lifetime" so I hope you were able to enjoy it together and make some good memories.

I can't add very much to the good advice given by BIS and Denby, and I hope this won't offend you, but my neighbour has found Age UK very helpful with completing forms and arranging assessments, etc. She is quite a bit older than you, but I think they're fairly flexible.

With all good wishes,

Wendy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anji

More
3 months 1 day ago #292827 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Carers allowance - death of carer
Hi Evelyn

I'm so glad you have close friends and families who can support you. Take care.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Anji

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid