× Members

Carers allowance - death of carer

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #292886 by Kevsue19
Replied by Kevsue19 on topic Carers allowance - death of carer
Thank you all so much. I am going to ask for a care assessment , I am on their records for the aids I have already had. I know I would have to pay for help but at least I would know what a professional says I need. I am also thinking of changing my bathroom to a wet room - at the moment my (grown up) daughter is too scared I will slip in either the bath or shower that she stays there while I bathe and shower. I feel awful for her having to help so much.
Wendy woo , yes we went on our cruise holiday and had an amazing time. My voluntary redundancy has helped my financial situation and I’m so glad we lived life to the full (as we could!) Tomorrow would have been our 40th wedding anniversary and I am trying to be grateful for the 43years we had together since meeting in 1981 aged 18. One positive is my review which is happening at the moment pales into insignificance compare to losing my lover and best friend. Thank you all for you support x
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Wendy Woo, Anji

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292914 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Carers allowance - death of carer
Hi Evelyn

I'm sure you miss him every minute of the day - but it's fabulous to hear that you had 43 happy years from such a young age. I will be thinking of you as you start to navigate not just the change day to day but all those special occasions such as your wedding anniversary.

Take care

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevsue19, Wendy Woo

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292919 by Anji
Replied by Anji on topic Carers allowance - death of carer
Hi Evelyn

Just wanted to say how sad it is that your husband has died at such a young age. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise and that you had such a long marriage.

I hope the assessment goes ok, and do let us know how you are getting on.
All the best
Anji
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevsue19, Wendy Woo

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292953 by lesley
Replied by lesley on topic Carers allowance - death of carer
Dear Evelyn,
I offer you my sincere condolences. When I lost my husband some years ago. I was his carer, he was very ill, plus I had two small children. The only money I was in receipt of was his invalidity benefit. So was left penniless. I went to the local Citizen's Advice Bureau and cannot tell you how much they helped me. In fact they saved my life.
I was so desperate that I had first gone along to the local job centre and applied for a job. The manager of that job centre could see how unwell I was and sent me away, telling me to go to the C.A.B. and to my doctor and that I was not well enough to work.
Long story short, the local C.A.B. helped me get onto widowed mother's allawance and sickness benefit and then onto D.L.A. they actually told my doctor what to write on the forms and she was very good and complied.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Wendy Woo, Gary, Anji

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid