× Members

Pip Points For Hearing Loss and using hearing aids

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292935 by clearwater
Biz thank you, dont mind talking about my deafness, being a professional musician and studying music at Uni 80's, hearing to me is probably more important than sight, ( on a tangent ) BBC R4 sometime ago....... this topic ( Blind or Deaf ) most surprising how many would find it untollerable not hearing.

So upset having not mention my hearing re PIP before, and not wanting to rock the boat wanted advice as for being told what to do, i view it as advice, coming from a good heart here at Benefits & Work .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293010 by swampy1901
Having successfully applied for PIP recently - I was made aware while going through the application process that it is not just being deaf and wearing hearing aids that awards you the points. There are many things that affect day to day living that the ordinary Joe public just would not understand.
What happens when you have a shower, does someone have to be around to make you aware the phone is ringing or that the smoke alarm is going off because you cant hear the timer or just forgot and burnt your dinner? You may drive and use a sat nav to direct you - that's okay but what if you misheard the place name or spelt it wrong and ended up miles from your destination? Do you have a vibrating alarm clock to wake you? You could miss an important appointment because you didn't hear a normal clock and no-one was around to wake you. Are you on edge when out and about because you can hear an emergency siren but no idea which direction it is coming from? Crossing the road has its own dangers because you didn't hear that EV coming up behind you. There are so many situations in life that you may have dealt with in the past but now put you in danger or upset you because your hearing has deteriorated. Have you ever needed to ask someone what was said because you missed it? That information that you missed could be critical! I get that you don't want to the rock the boat but you do need to make the assessor aware that life is harder for you now and possibly more dangerous so you really should let them know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.