× Members

Points for using oxygen ?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292921 by Dumbo1
Points for using oxygen ? was created by Dumbo1
Hi all, I have requested a pip form package as suggested by a friend, after she witnessed me having a Cluster Headache. I have had a bit of a search and cant seem to find anything relating to my situation. I have had cluster headaches for years now. They come and go as they please- But what i do have every single day apart from them is what I would call 'Background head pain' it is a constant burning /fizzing intense pain- many times it is unbearable- but for years ive just shrugged it off and 'lived with the pain'- around 2 years ago i was prescribed oxygen bottles and i use these to help calm the pain down- i use them for 20/30 mins at a time as and when needed. the oxygen does take the pain down a bit. i have been prescribed other pills, sprays, Gamma core and just recently Lamtrigine, which sadly did not work. would anyone know if i would qualify for points for using the oxygen? Please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292948 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Points for using oxygen ?
Hi Don66

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

When applying for PIP, it is not so much the condition per se that the DWP is interested in, but how that condition/s impacts a claimant's daily life and mobility as set out in the PIP criteria. We are not assessors or medical professionals, so cannot give a view on what you will get and at what level. Two people can have identical conditions but be given different awards.

Our guide to PIP claims and reviews goes through each question highlighting important issues that you need to consider in your answers and giving some sample answers; benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

PIP is not awarded because of the condition but rather the limitations that result and prevent a claimant from completing a range of everyday activities.

Read about the reliability element in the guide - if you cannot do something:

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and acceptable standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a reasonable time period – no more than twice as long as a person without a physical or mental health condition would take to carry out the activity.

then you should not be considered able to do the activity.

The fact that you can’t do the activity safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly or in a reasonable time, means you can’t do it at all for the purposes of the descriptors.

If you have any further questions, then please return to the forum.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292958 by Dumbo1
Replied by Dumbo1 on topic Points for using oxygen ?
Hi Gary, thanks for the info- When i get the forms i will re look over some of the parts, as I would normally just put i have head pain and not elaborate on that . so I guess the more in depth information i put the better i will be

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292986 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Points for using oxygen ?
Hi Don66,
I had a client with cluster headaches using oxygen. I know that I I argued that there was a risk with cooking because O2 particles can hang on clothing - this was in a safety leaflet given to him - I argued he therefore couldn't cook. I can't remember what else we argued. I'll have a think and if I remember re-post. Remind me!
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dumbo1

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid