× Members

Saving for house and Transitional protection

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292999 by Kittykatz
Hello,

I received a bit of inheritance and I'm saving to buy a property to live in. I have just been moved through migration to Universal credit. UC said after 12 month assessment period my savings will be counted if I still have them towards my UC. Is this still the case if I can prove I am actively seeking to move with these savings? I have a mortgage advisor who works with vulnerable people and those on benefits. I expect I will have moved within this time but I just wanted to check.

My transitional protection has increased (Substantially) since I moved to UC from WTC. I phoned and sent a message on my journal asking DWP to explain how this has been worked out and told them what I was receiving in WTC and I thought my TP would be the same and DWP said in my journal I'm getting the correct amount. I will also be getting even more of an increase once I move as I will not have the savings I currently do. I contacted my local advice shop and they said they don't know and I should contact UC. I am worried DWP have made a mistake and I will be liable for this in the future.

Can someone please advise.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293054 by Gary
Hi Kittykatz

Your question is outside the remit of the forum; we would advise you to seek advise from your Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk

If you have moved from tax credits onto universal credit in the managed migration and have capital of more than the upper limit of £16,000, the capital over this limit can be disregarded for the first 12 months of your universal credit award.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kittykatz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.