× Members

Successful Claim for deafness

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293004 by swampy1901
Successful Claim for deafness was created by swampy1901
I have been moderately to severely deaf all my life and due to stubborness and pigheadedness had never claimed DLA or PIP and grew up managing reasonably well with friends, family and work colleagues to support me when needed.
Over the years I could not understand how people claimed these benefits when I could manage. It took redundancy and some well meaning people who know me well to convince me that the very things that I took for granted are not available when they are not around. So I put in an application for PIP - admittedly at 63 - I'm a little annoyed at myself for not doing so earlier but my hearing has changed, have dealt with cancer issues, and I'm also less mobile and often in pain which is controlled with medication. The gadgets installed around my home over the years to help me all awarded me points.
But I would not have even considered applying had it not been for this website and some you tube videos. I attended a face to face assessment with my husband for support and eventually was awarded the enhanced award for daily living and the standard rate for mobility along with the back dated payments due. The information given on how to word responses to the form filling and the actual assessment were invaluable and I'm very grateful.:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293024 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Successful Claim for deafness
Hi swampy1901

Many congratulations on your successful PIP application. I'm so pleased you realised you are entitled to help after all this time.

A word of warning for the future. I don't know how long your award was for - but if you continue to be awarded it at each review it will continue even after you reach state pension age. However, after you reach state pension age you will not be able to increase your mobility award even if your mobility has deteriorated. So if you find that you think you should be awarded enhanced - you need to fight for it before you reach state pension age. You can do this by putting in for a change of circumstances at any time in which case they will bring forward a review. You may not want to do this or it may not be necessary, but I wanted you to know now. Some people are very disappointed when they realise they can't get extra help when they reach SPA.

Congratulations again.

BIS

Tags:@RESULT @PIP

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: portland, swampy1901

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293042 by lesley
Replied by lesley on topic Successful Claim for deafness
Sorry to intrude. BIS is right.
I am now 76 on my way to 77. I am on D.L.A. I do get the highest care rate, but only get low mobility. I really should be on high mobility. I am now only able to walk with two crutches after having knee injuries and an ankle fusion (TTC) So over the years my mobility has detiorated and it limits me a lot. Although I am only just about managing financially however, regret not trying before pension age to get a higher rate mobility.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid