× Members

Qualify for Attendance Allowance?

More
2 months 1 week ago #293534 by Faith
Qualify for Attendance Allowance? was created by Faith
Hi,

My elderly mother has severe heart failure, severe hearing loss, bladder incontinence, impaired memory. Symptoms include: extreme shortness of breath whenever she walks, total loss of appetite, inability to use telephone (due to hearing loss), frequent bladder accidents, forgetting to take meds. She can mobilise, slowly, unaided, for very short distances (eg from room to room in her bungalow).

At present, the help she needs is someone to:
Shop for food (not relevant for AA / disregarded by DWP)
Do all housework: washing dishes, vacuuming, etc (not relevant for AA / disregarded by DWP)
Prepare food for her (not relevant for AA / disregarded by DWP)
Prompt and encourage her to eat and drink
Prompt and encourage her to use toilet
Remind her to take meds
Make and take all telephone calls for her

My question:
Is there any point in her applying for AA when the only help she needs (with the activities considered relevant by the DWP) is prompting (with 3 activities) and communication assistance?

Massive thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

X

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #293545 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Qualify for Attendance Allowance?
Hi Faith

From what you have posted on the forum I would say that your mother would be entitled to Attendance Allowance, I certainly would apply.

Do you have a Age UK near by, they do some excellent applications.

Does your mother need any night time care, if she does then she could be entitled to the high rate.

If she gets high or low , she may then be eligible to claim Pension Credit Guarantee depending on her circumstances.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faith

More
2 months 1 week ago #293550 by Faith
Replied by Faith on topic Qualify for Attendance Allowance?
Hi Gary,
Thank you so much for your encouraging reply! :)
I’m very pleased that my mother may be eligible for AA, even though the “only” help she needs is prompting and some communication assistance.
She does not currently have night time care needs, so won’t be eligible for high rate.
I think she already receives Pension Credit.
I will complete the AA application form for her, using the brilliant B&W guide, of course.

X

More
2 months 4 days ago #293593 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Qualify for Attendance Allowance?
Hi Faith

If your mum already receives PCG, and if she is successful in claiming Attendance Allowance, depending on her circumstances she may be eligible for an additional element with her PCG called a severe disability premium worth £81.50 pw

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faith

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.