× Members

Housing ass customers have any of you had letters for being in arrears.

• Little vampire 72
  • Topic Author
More
1 month 1 week ago #293718 by Little vampire 72
Hi there gang,hope you are all well I have a problem that's been brought to my attention from my landlords saying I am in arrears at which i was shocked at I have never never been in arrears before.
How let's go back to the end of March when we all got are rent increases throught, ours went up to £158.38per week which is £633.52 per 4 weekly uc payments. It was wrecking my head why we were £371.49 in arrears when we were paying the new rent. We rang up our housing association to see how we have racked up so much arrears when pay £633.52 per uc payment we checked yo make sure uc had the new fiq's and they had the same as ourselves the housing ass who I am not naming explanation for the arrears. Is they are working on a 53 weeks in the financial year. So because of this the rental payments will have changed if your due day is a Monday. Here's the best bit. It's seems that if your rent is due on a Monday and it's been worked on a 53week financial year. Then some months we'll have 5 Mondays so this is were thevarrears came from they then went on to say that are new rent is £699.51 pcm that's like a £60 increase on the rent increase can't understand why we were not advised of this being the new rent. Contact uc over this matter and the reply was
We have had similar disputes with different claimants who rent from Magenta.

Universal Credit are not working to a 53 week year as we pay monthly, not weekly. This means that Universal Credit cannot pay the extra amount.

The amount Universal Credit will pay for you housing is £686.31. You may want to contact your local council to enquire about discretionary housing payments to see if they can pay the top to your rent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #293730 by Gary
Hi Little vampire 72

Your question is outside the remit of the forum.

This is something I have come across recently and sort advice from our consultants who sent me a long reply. It does affect UC claimants as it is paid monthly more than HB claimants which is paid 4 weekly, www.housing.org.uk/resources/why-are-we-...e-53-week-rent-year/.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.