× Members

Migration to UC - Currently receiving enhanced PIP and Tax Credits

More
2 months 6 days ago #294203 by Lesley Kerrigan
I'm completely new to UC.

I am self employed as this is easiest for me to manage with my disability. I am on enhanced PIP for personal care and my condition varies through the month.

I have been forced to migrate away from legacy benefits WTC, CTC, HB to UC. I have a meeting next week with a 'work coach' and am anxious about this. I run a small business which I work very hard at when I am well. on days when I can't work I catch up later.

They have mentioned viability of my business and they need details of my monthly income, this obviously fluctuates, no business has the same income and expenditure each month.

I have all the documentation they require re HMRC, tax returns, social media, my website, invoices etc etc.

I know nothing about work capability/ESA etc.
Please can anyone give me advice or tell me where to look, I'm completely in the dark and so far everyone I speak to at DWP is vague, gives conflicting answers or I am scared to trust.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 6 days ago #294204 by David
Hi Lk24,

The situation you are in as a self employed person claiming UC is complex and the best thing would be for you to get appropriate advice from a local Welfare Benefits Advice agency or maybe even Citizens Advice.

Having said that the Jobcentre should give you a copy of the leaflet for the self employed in the link below. Maybe show the leaflet for to your Work Coach when you attend the Jobcentre and see if he/she has any comments.

www.housingsystems.co.uk/Portals/0/Docum...017-08-27-075642-640

Hope this helps,
David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lesley Kerrigan

More
2 months 6 days ago #294206 by Lesley Kerrigan
Thank you David. I've read the document you mentioned. It's helpful thank you, but doesn't mention anything about disability, PIP, work capability etc and how my health might be taken into account for UC.

My next appointment is in less than a week and I'm not sure I will get an appointment with an advisor before then, what do you suggest?
Do you have any further information please?
With thanks, LK24

More
2 months 5 days ago #294211 by David
Hi Lk24,

I cannot give you bespoke advice on this subject. Hopefully you will find an advice agency to do this.

However I can say that your Work Coach has the discretion to tailor your Universal Credit claimant commitment to take into account your health and illnesses. You can communicate with your Work Coach via your UC journal. So maybe that is something you could attempt, making the Work Coach aware of your concerns.

Hope this helps,
David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lesley Kerrigan

More
2 months 5 days ago #294226 by Lesley Kerrigan
Thank you David, i appreciate your replies.
Yes, I have fully informed him via the journal of my concerns and my disability, he has replied with only generic links. Not much reassurance there, or from anyone in DWP so far, as I have been given a lot of vague, unclear and by their own admission, incorrect information so far.
I have made calls this morning trying to arrange independent welfare advice, but everything seems to be via the job centre/DWP, govt funded/CAB.
Thank you for your input : )

More
2 months 5 days ago #294229 by David
Hi Lk24

When you send messages on the UC platform you have a menu of whom to send them to....Work Coach being one option and " payments " being another. If you choose " payments " then the message gets routed to the Case Manager in the UC Service Centre. If you are not happy with your Work Coach's answers you could try routing the message to the Case Manager.

Hope this helps,
David

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid