× Members

Supporting friend with PIP telephone assessment

More
3 days 6 hours ago #294904 by mel0308
Hi, I’ve tried searching but haven’t found an answer to my question. I will be supporting a friend on their telephone assessment on Thursday. Will I have to give any information about myself, such as name or address? Also, any tips or advice from people who have done this would be really appreciated! Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 days 27 minutes ago #294916 by Gary
Hi mel0308

It depends on what you mean by supporting your friend, unless you have POA then you will not be able to answer questions on behalf of your friend. Your friend will be asked if they have anyone with them at the assessment.

If you have a look at our PIP guide at the link below you will see that there are a number of pages which include advice on telephone assessments. Yes, a lot of the questions are those that would have been asked if you had a face to face assessment.
benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

- Write yourself a bullet point list of any particular points you want to get over, so your friend has it by them during the assessment, tick the bullet points as you cover them during the assessment.
- have paper and pens to hand to make any notes such as the assessors name, date, time
- Record the assessment surreptitiously. (Never trust that there won't be a problem with their equipment!)
- make sure you and your friend are seated in comfortable chairs, you are going to be there a while and at table to make notes
- if you can't hear or understand what is being asked then ask them to repeat the question
- don’t let the assessor rush your friend and get them flustered.
- don't forget to have a glass of water nearby if needed so your friend does not get a dry throat and lose their voice!

Don't forget to contact DWP 48 hours after the assessment and ask for a copy of the assessors report called PA4.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mel0308

More
2 days 23 hours ago #294923 by denby
Himel0308,
The friend who supported me on my telephone assessment confirmed his name, which I had already told them so they could dial him in as he was in his home and I in mine many miles apart. I don't think his address came into it. He prompted me here and there and added bits from his knowledge of me. This assessor let him do that as well as prompting me. I don't have too much trouble speaking up for myself but tend to forget bits and wander as I have ADHD.
Hope it goes well for you, Denby

More
2 days 11 hours ago #294929 by mel0308
Many thanks for the information Gary. I will be there just as a friend as her husband can’t be there, and she doesn’t want to postpone the assessment (she is feeling very anxious about it). Do you know if I will have to give any personal information about myself to the assessor (apart from being a friend, and my first name?).
Thanks again your all the support from BaW.

More
2 days 4 hours ago #294955 by BIS
Hi mek0308

No, you won't have to give any personal information about yourself.

Hope the assessment goes well for your friend.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mel0308

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid