× Members

Change of circumstance - DWP instructed me to apply for PIP as I am now retired

More
2 days 7 hours ago #294943 by lk1
Hello, I am new to the forum and am completely confused (partly due to my memory capacity- and partly due to the complexities of PIP) . For about 3 years now - maybe a little more, I have been TRYING to get a change of circumstances for my DLA care component from a Low to a higher rate because of the deterioration in my health. I exported my care component with me when I moved to Cyprus (pre-Brexit) but was not allowed to export the Higher mobility payment, which I had received for MANY YEARS. I understood this but did not think I required any change in my care component at the time. However, Since having major health problems 3 years ago, including a hospital stay during COVID, my health is now such that I need a great deal of care and support from my husband. We tried to claim an Attendance allowance (on suggestion from our GP) but as my husband is over 73 somehow, we did not qualify. I use a wheelchair, and cannot be left alone for long due to the danger of falls, my balance is not good, and I have diabetic neuropathy of the feet and hands. I have taken the self-assessment and easily qualify for PIP !! Here is where the problem begins!! I have NEVER been able to get through to the PIP new claims department number 08009172222 which was given to me by the DLA department. It does not matter what time of day I try, I get engaged or disconnected. There is no way to email; other numbers I have found have the same problem. I know they are changing things concerning NEW PIP CLAIMS, but if there is anything else you can suggest to contact them, I would be most grateful. I have already lost 3 years in the waiting having given up so many times :( . Sorry for the long post, but I feel so frustrated as I am sure many others are. Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 days 1 hour ago #294976 by Gary
Hi IK1

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

From your post I am not sure if you still live in Cyprus.

If you live in the UK then you need to talk to DLA helpline 0800 121 4600/4523 and request a change of circumstances, ideally you also want to put the request in writing by recorded delivery.

Attendance Allowance is for an individual over state pension age, have a look at our guide in the tab at the top under guides. Here is a link to the Gov website; www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

If you are state pension age, you cannot claim PIP as a new claim, although some claimants whose birthday is after 08/04/1948 will be invited to apply for PIP, at present it is on hold.

We would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk .

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 days 35 minutes ago #294980 by lk1
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do still live in Cyprus. I have been in contact with the DLA team in the UK earlier this year via a Registered letter. After about 2 months they phoned me here in Cyprus and told me that I needed to apply for New claimant PIP as I am now of retirement age. They gave me the phone number as I stated in my previous post, 08009172222 but I have been unable to get through on the telephone . I have been trying for weeks! . I wondered if there was any advice I could get on what to do next! TIA .

More
2 days 5 minutes ago #294982 by Gary
Hi IK1

The best time to contact DWP is first thing in the morning, ideally 10 minutes before opening time and just keep dialing.

The number you have quoted is the correct number for a new claim for PIP: 0800 917 2222.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: lk1

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid