× Members

Universal credit carer

More
3 days 10 hours ago #296102 by diceman24
Universal credit carer was created by diceman24
Hello everyone need a little advise please I’m claiming u/c with lcwra plus high rate dla both elements my mum is my carer at moment but my brother claims universal credit with icw element could my brother become my new carer plus would he recieve carers allowance plus will any of this effect my monthly payments thank you for any advice by the way my brother doesn’t work at moment thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 days 20 hours ago #296111 by David
Replied by David on topic Universal credit carer
Hi diceman24,

Having a carer does not affect the disabled person's UC ( except maybe for bedroom tax ).
As far as your brother is concerned here is the relevant information.

There are two Universal Credit elements for people with limited capability for work.
You can't get the Carer element as well as one of these limited capability elements. You will get whichever is the higher element. This means that if you are eligible for:

the LCW element and the Carer element - you will get the Carer element only
the LCWRA element and the Carer element - you will get the LCWRA element only
The same applies to each member of a couple except when you are both eligible for the LCWRA element and the Carer element. Only one member of the couple can receive the LCWRA element but the other member will get the Carer element instead
The Limited Capability for Work (LCW) element was closed to new claims from April 2017.

David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.