× Members

PIP review - Decision

More
7 hours 28 minutes ago #315819 by ac82
PIP review - Decision was created by ac82
Hi, I’m looking for some thoughts on my recent PIP review, particularly regarding Moving Around and Managing Medication. For context, I have a severe disability affecting both upper limbs.

Managing Medication

When I was originally awarded PIP in 2015, I wasn’t taking any medication and received 0 points for managing treatments.

Things have changed since then. I now take several medications every day. Because of my disability, I cannot remove medication from the blister packs myself, so my mother has to prepare my medication in a weekly dosette box for me. This is exactly what I explained on my review form.

However, I have again received 0 points, with DWP stating that I can manage medication or therapy, or monitor my health condition, unaided.

Moving Around

In my review questionnaire, I stated that I can walk between 20 and 50 metres on a regular and repeated basis. I also explained that I need to pause or stop when walking, require assistance from another person, have problems with my balance, and fall approximately 2–3 times per week.

Due to the limitations affecting my arms, when I fall I cannot use them to reduce the impact. I struggle to get back up, and often need my parents or other family members to assist me.

I’ve tried using a crutch, but because I can only use it on my right side while my imbalance is on my left, I explained that using it can actually make me more unbalanced.

Despite this, DWP awarded me 0 points for Moving Around, stating that I can stand and move more than 200 metres. The decision says that although I reported a decline in my ability to move around, I have no diagnosed lower-limb condition and there is no medical evidence to support the difficulties I reported.

I already receive enhanced Daily Living (18 points), so any additional points for managing medication wouldn’t change that part of my award. My main concern is the Mobility decision, particularly how DWP concluded that I can stand and move more than 200 metres despite the difficulties I reported.

I’d really appreciate any thoughts on this, particularly from anyone familiar with PIP reviews or challenging a Moving Around decision.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 hour 13 minutes ago #315826 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP review - Decision
Hi ac82

The wording for this question has changed since you last filled in the form. At most, you would score 1 point here, but a lot of people find they are not being given the one point. This is just be the wrong decision, or it's because of the definition of "managing medication" - “Manage medication” means take medication, where a failure to do so is likely to result in a
deterioration in your health. The DWP approach seems to be that if you are taking the medication, or it wouldn't cause a deterioration if you didn't, then they don't appear to be awarding it. I can't say exactly why this has happened in your case but you can try and fight them on this issue.

Moving around.
This one is tricky to answer when I don't know anything about your condition. Clearly, they are saying you have no lower limb issues, and so they don't understand why you have any balance issues or would be falling. You said that you have given them an explanation, but now that you have their comments, you need to counteract them. You don't have to have been diagnosed with a lower limb issue to have balance issues, but you do need to offer them an explanation that they understand.

These are the questions that come to mind - some of which I think you have probably included in your answer to them already.
- How does your upper limb disability impact your walking? People without upper arm conditions naturally use their arms when walking, even if they are not aware of it, but clearly that's not the same for you. Have you explained enough here?
- What happens immediately before you fall —stumbling, swaying, dizziness, a leg giving way?
- How often are there falls **and near misses**, and what injuries have occurred?
- What can you actually do with your arms when you lose balance?
- Does someone steady you and can you use a walking aid safely?
- How far can you walk safely and repeatedly, and has a clinician assessed the falls?

I would be emphasising the safety issues of you falling and not being able to get up alone. I would also emphasise the risk of you falling, which they are supposed to consider regardless of whether you actually fall. Therefore, you cannot walk repeatedly or the distance they say.

I'm repeating myself, but your challenge is to show them how an upper body disability can and does affect your lower body.

BIS

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: latetrain, BIS, Catherine12345, Chris, David, Forum Moderator
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.