- Posts: 7
- Forum
- Members forums
- ESA, PIP, UC and DLA Queries and Results
- Claiming an Irish State Pension at 66. (My UK pension age is 67)
× Members
Claiming an Irish State Pension at 66. (My UK pension age is 67)
- Phil C
- Topic Author
- Offline
Less More
3 hours 8 minutes ago #315883 by Phil C
Claiming an Irish State Pension at 66. (My UK pension age is 67) was created by Phil C
Good Evening,
I am a UK Citizen, a Royal Navy Veteran and in 2030 - 2031 I will have two State Pensions available to claim, one from the Republic of Ireland and one from the UK.
In Ireland, the pension age is 66.
I will be 66 on December 4th 2030.
I live with my Partner, and we rent a two bedroom property from a local council in Wales. She gets the enhanced rates of PIP and she also gets Universal Credit, which includes the LCWRA, housing and carer elements.
I get Carers Allowance for her.
I would like to get some advice about what to do with my Irish State Pension, depending on how it is regarded by the DWP. Do I claim it at 66 or defer claiming until I approach my 67th Birthday, the date of my UK State Pension?
The amount of State Pension I will receive from Ireland is going to be well under the UK earnings limit for carers allowance.
However, does the DWP see this Irish pension as foreign earnings or do they regard it as an overlapping benefit and therefore reduce the carers allowance accordingly? What are the DWP's rules on claiming Irish State Pensions as a UK Citizen, living in the UK?
I'd also like to know what would happen to my carers allowance underlying entitlements and how this could affect my Partner's Universal Credit if I was to claim this pension in 2030 and the DWP stops paying the cash amount?
Cheers everyone, hope you all have a nice weekend.
Phil
I am a UK Citizen, a Royal Navy Veteran and in 2030 - 2031 I will have two State Pensions available to claim, one from the Republic of Ireland and one from the UK.
In Ireland, the pension age is 66.
I will be 66 on December 4th 2030.
I live with my Partner, and we rent a two bedroom property from a local council in Wales. She gets the enhanced rates of PIP and she also gets Universal Credit, which includes the LCWRA, housing and carer elements.
I get Carers Allowance for her.
I would like to get some advice about what to do with my Irish State Pension, depending on how it is regarded by the DWP. Do I claim it at 66 or defer claiming until I approach my 67th Birthday, the date of my UK State Pension?
The amount of State Pension I will receive from Ireland is going to be well under the UK earnings limit for carers allowance.
However, does the DWP see this Irish pension as foreign earnings or do they regard it as an overlapping benefit and therefore reduce the carers allowance accordingly? What are the DWP's rules on claiming Irish State Pensions as a UK Citizen, living in the UK?
I'd also like to know what would happen to my carers allowance underlying entitlements and how this could affect my Partner's Universal Credit if I was to claim this pension in 2030 and the DWP stops paying the cash amount?
Cheers everyone, hope you all have a nice weekend.
Phil
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- David
- Away
Less More
- Posts: 4213
1 hour 49 minutes ago #315884 by David
Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Replied by David on topic Claiming an Irish State Pension at 66. (My UK pension age is 67)
Hi Phil
My hunch is that for your UC couple claim the Irish retirement pension will be treated as unearned income and deducted £ for £ but only after you start receiving the payments.
I assume that you will be receiving the UK State Pension and depending on the amount your Carer's Allowance will stop.
I understand that there has been recent court case law which allows for foreign state pensions to be exempt in the Carer's Allowance assessment.
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6...-unearned-income.pdf
Overseas arrangements
H5030 Income from an overseas pension arrangement should be taken fully into account1
1 SPC Act 02, s 16(1)(g)
David
My hunch is that for your UC couple claim the Irish retirement pension will be treated as unearned income and deducted £ for £ but only after you start receiving the payments.
I assume that you will be receiving the UK State Pension and depending on the amount your Carer's Allowance will stop.
I understand that there has been recent court case law which allows for foreign state pensions to be exempt in the Carer's Allowance assessment.
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6...-unearned-income.pdf
Overseas arrangements
H5030 Income from an overseas pension arrangement should be taken fully into account1
1 SPC Act 02, s 16(1)(g)
David
Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: latetrain, BIS, Catherine12345, Chris, David, Forum Moderator