× Members

Bias in Awards, challenge?

• adam-ant
  • Topic Author
14 years 1 week ago #21129 by adam-ant
Bias in Awards, challenge? was created by adam-ant
Does a Decision Maker come under a judicial or an administrative role? I have read different case law which seems to give opposing views.
e.g. Disability Discrimination Act cannot be used because it is a judicial decision yet a judicial act must be impartial and free from perceived or actual bias....

Either way as the DM is not independent, but still needs to act impartially would there be a case for “bias” with regards to their decisions, owing to their impartiality being compromised by the undue closeness and influence of a private company at all levels.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #21137 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:Bias in Awards, challenge?
Hi adamant,

I don't think this is a question we can really answer. I think the DWP would argue that the DM simply receives evidence from various parties, which could include a claimant's GP or even a privately paid for medical report, and makes a decision based on that evidence.

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
14 years 1 week ago #21142 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Bias in Awards, challenge?
Hi,

Technically, all decisions on entitlement to social security benefits are made by the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, but they delegate the decisions to Decision Makers, who receive guidance from the Decision Makers Guide,
which is updated regularly.

You can join their mailing list free of charge by e-mailing : LEGAL GROUP DMA Leeds Mailing List <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>

When it was the Dept of Social Security (DSS), decisions were made by Adjudication Officers who were statutory bodies in their own right.

Crazydiamond one of our moderators was a former Adjudication Officer for the DSS, so may wish to add a comment.

Hope this explains things, although as Steve states, it's not really within our remit.

Best wishes.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• adam-ant
  • Topic Author
14 years 1 week ago #21145 by adam-ant
Replied by adam-ant on topic Re:Bias in Awards, challenge?
Thanks Steve ..what made me question the legality of things was the replies of Mr Murphy of the Standing Committee when debating the Welfare Reform Bill
www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm2005...1024/am/61024s04.htm

"Ultimately, the decision as to the impact of that illness, ailment or condition on a person’s ability to undertake work-related activity or to work at all will be a decision of the person carrying out the assessment. They will reach a conclusion and make a recommendation that will go to the decision maker.

It is important to say clearly that the decision maker has a legal responsibility…. They are not in place to overrule, in a medical sense, the recommendations from those who carry out the assessments….. On the revised PCA, the individual carrying out the assessment would ultimately make the judgment"

How can Decision Making be transferred to a private company if it is a judicial role.?
Or on a lesser scale how can they make a determination as to the value of a GPs evidence etc as indicated in the debate

• adam-ant
  • Topic Author
14 years 1 week ago #21146 by adam-ant
Replied by adam-ant on topic Re:Bias in Awards, challenge?
Thanks Jima 1, your reply must have popped up while I was typing..I hope you are keeping well..

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
14 years 1 week ago #21148 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Bias in Awards, challenge?
Hi Adam,

Sorry, our posts crossed it happens quite often.

An interesting link, but as I stated in my first reply Decision Makers are employed by the DWP, not by a private company.

A Decision Maker must ( or should) examine each case thoroughly and weigh up all the facts and not just rely on a medical report by an ATOS employee when reaching a decision.

Regretfully, that doesn't always happen for various reasons.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.