× Members

carers premium

More
11 years 6 months ago #92765 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:carers premium
S65 and Bro58

I have re-read the ESA Regulations and the Decision Makers Guide and the error is mine.

The FAQ should refer to Work Related Activity and not WFIs.

There appears to be nothing that excludes an ESA claimant and their partner from being called to WFIs whilst the claimant is in the WRAG. If the claimants partner is "undertaking significant long term caring responsibilities that make the prospect of work, paid or unpaid, unlikely at the present time" they may have their WfI deferred.

However, whilst attending a WFI is required, neither the claimant nor their partner can be required to participate in Work Related Activity whilst in receipt of the Carers Allowance and/or the Carers Premium.

So to summarise, you will need to attend a WFI, but cannot be required to do anything whislt there.

Sorry for the confusion, I will update the FAQ.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
11 years 6 months ago #92766 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:carers premium
Gordon wrote:

S65 and Bro58

I have re-read the ESA Regulations and the Decision Makers Guide and the error is mine.

The FAQ should refer to Work Related Activity and not WFIs.

There appears to be nothing that excludes an ESA claimant and their partner from being called to WFIs whilst the claimant is in the WRAG. If the claimants partner is "undertaking significant long term caring responsibilities that make the prospect of work, paid or unpaid, unlikely at the present time" they may have their WfI deferred.

However, whilst attending a WFI is required, neither the claimant nor their partner can be required to participate in Work Related Activity whilst in receipt of the Carers Allowance and/or the Carers Premium.

So to summarise, you will need to attend a WFI, but cannot be required to do anything whislt there.

Sorry for the confusion, I will update the FAQ.

Gordon

Thanks for taking the time to research this issue, Gordon :)

I was a bit concerned as I have advised other members as in my posts here, on quite a few occasions.

Cheers. :)

bro58

• bro58
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #92767 by bro58
Hi G,

One more query on this issue. :)

In a scenario where a couple were both in receipt of DLA Higher Rate Care, and one partner of the couple was in receipt of CB ESA in the WRAG, and also received an income related ESA top up which included the Carer Premium for himself and his partner, as they were both classed as giving care to each other, but were not entitled to "carers allowance" due to "overlapping benefits" and the other partner was also in the WRAG, as she was entitled to CB ESA in her own right, would they then both be exempt from WFI's and/or WRA ?

I know it's rather late but whilst we are on the subject ... :)

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by bro58.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #92770 by Gordon
Bro58

Having traced everything back, the only exclusions to WFIs are being in the Support Group or meeting the Upper Age limit.

Someone involved in "substantial" caring, there is no requirement for them to be receiving Carers Allowance, can have their WFIs deferred. There is no specification for how long, but I am assuming it is indefinite.

Whilst CA and ESA are overlapping benefits, this does not mean that someone claiming ESA cannot claim CA, just that it won't be paid, there will still be an underlying entitlement to the CA.

With regard to Work Related Activity, the following are excused

- is a lone parent who is responsible for and a member of the same household as a child under the age of 5; .
- is entitled to a carer’s allowance; and .
- is entitled to a carer premium under paragraph 8 of Schedule 4 to the ESA Regulations

So in your example, I think that WFIs would be deferred for both of them.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

• bro58
11 years 6 months ago #92772 by bro58
Gordon wrote:

Bro58

Having traced everything back, the only exclusions to WFIs are being in the Support Group or meeting the Upper Age limit.

Someone involved in "substantial" caring, there is no requirement for them to be receiving Carers Allowance, can have their WFIs deferred. There is no specification for how long, but I am assuming it is indefinite.

Whilst CA and ESA are overlapping benefits, this does not mean that someone claiming ESA cannot claim CA, just that it won't be paid, there will still be an underlying entitlement to the CA.

With regard to Work Related Activity, the following are excused

- is a lone parent who is responsible for and a member of the same household as a child under the age of 5; .
- is entitled to a carer’s allowance; and .
- is entitled to a carer premium under paragraph 8 of Schedule 4 to the ESA Regulations

So in your example, I think that WFIs would be deferred for both of them.

Gordon

Thanks G,

I am aware of "the underlying entitlement" scenario, and that would be the case in the example that I have given. :)

I notice that you are seperating WFI's from WRA, I was under the impression that WFI's and The Work Programme both came under the umbrella of Work Related Activity, maybe that is where the confusion has occurred ?

bro58

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #92773 by Gordon
bro58 wrote:

I notice that you are seperating WFI's from WRA, I was under the impression that WFI's and The Work Programme both came under the umbrella of Work Related Activity, maybe that is where the confusion has occurred ?

bro58

I think that was my original assumption as well, but going back through the various legislation and the DMG, the two are actually seperated.

It's interesting to note that one of the pre-requisites of WRA is a WFI.

I would assume that the WFIs are going to be pretty short if the claimant is excluded fron WRA :)

Gordon

Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.