× Members

Advocacy for mental health

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #99506 by katealive
Advocacy for mental health was created by katealive
Has anyone had experience of a mental health advocate and their role in helping with the WCA? Can they help prepare for the interview? Speak in the interview? Take notes? make a recording? Can they interpret the full meaning of a question for asperger assessments? E.g. Can prepare a meal (Literal answer may be "Yes" but the real answer is that they won't remember, or too engrossed in other things etc.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #99509 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Advocacy for mental health

katealive wrote: Has anyone had experience of a mental health advocate and their role in helping with the WCA? Can they help prepare for the interview? Speak in the interview? Take notes? make a recording? Can they interpret the full meaning of a question for asperger assessments? E.g. Can prepare a meal (Literal answer may be "Yes" but the real answer is that they won't remember, or too engrossed in other things etc.

It might help if you could explain the context to your question;

- who does the MH Advocate work for?
- Is this someone you are already in contact with or someone you want to see or make use of?
- Is this just in the context of the WCA or in a more general sense?

Thanks

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 7 months ago #99511 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Advocacy for mental health
Katealive, are you referring to the 'mental health champions' that ATOS supposedly have in place?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• mike1983
11 years 7 months ago #99515 by mike1983
Replied by mike1983 on topic Advocacy for mental health
im asking my mom to come with me to my esa medical if i need one

More
11 years 7 months ago #99519 by summertrain
Replied by summertrain on topic Advocacy for mental health
I had an advocate from MIND when I had a home medical in 2009. I also had help from them when I lived in South Wales. They are have proved invaluble, and have helped greatly. They have spoken up on my behalf at medicals in the past.

As I am in the progress of migrating from IB to ESA, I have contacted them again for help if I have to have a WCA. Look up MIND on the internet, and there should be links to take you to the advocacy service.

See link: www.mind.org.uk/mental_health_a-z/8040_a...acy_in_mental_health

• nada678
11 years 7 months ago #99524 by nada678
Replied by nada678 on topic Advocacy for mental health
Hello

Where I live in Kingston upon Thames, there is a mental health advocacy
service, and when I received my ESA50, I rang them for advice.

They can help you with the form, and accompany you to the assessment and appeal,
so it's definitely worth contacting your local service.

Luckily I got through without a medical, but I have to fill in another
ESA50 in May, so I might need their help too.

Good Luck

Nada678

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid