× Members

Carers Allowance / Housing Benefit

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #100686 by Fizz
Hi there,

I am receiving ESA (support group) and DLA (high rate care and mobility) and have just gone into remission at the end of last year from Non-Hodgkins.

I still need full time care and my carer wants to apply for Carer’s Allowance.

I live in a flatshare (2 persons, 2 bedrooms) and my flatmate is the carer. My flatmate is not a relative but a good friend only.

I am in receipt of Housing Benefit for private rented accommodation. Initially I was told I could just have Shared Accommodation Rate which is only about half my rent as I live in London. When I informed the local counsel of my disability I was awarded half the two bedroom rate which is £25 short of my weekly rent but doable. I was told this was due to something called severe disability premium.

I am worried that if my carer applies for carer’s allowance that I will only be entitled to shared accommodation rate again as my carer is already a resident.

Does anyone know how carer’s allowance impacts housing benefit when the disabled person is being cared for by a resident that is of no relation?

Any guidance at all on this would be very helpful as I am very concerned that I will either lose my carer (as they will have to go to jobseekers) or most of my housing benefit and I cannot survive without both.

Many thanks

Fizz
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #100689 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Carers Allowance / Housing Benefit

Fizz wrote: Hi there,

I am receiving ESA (support group) and DLA (high rate care and mobility) and have just gone into remission at the end of last year from Non-Hodgkins.

I still need full time care and my carer wants to apply for Carer’s Allowance.

I live in a flatshare (2 persons, 2 bedrooms) and my flatmate is the carer. My flatmate is not a relative but a good friend only.

I am in receipt of Housing Benefit for private rented accommodation. Initially I was told I could just have Shared Accommodation Rate which is only about half my rent as I live in London. When I informed the local counsel of my disability I was awarded half the two bedroom rate which is £25 short of my weekly rent but doable. I was told this was due to something called severe disability premium.

I am worried that if my carer applies for carer’s allowance that I will only be entitled to shared accommodation rate again as my carer is already a resident.

Does anyone know how carer’s allowance impacts housing benefit when the disabled person is being cared for by a resident that is of no relation?

Any guidance at all on this would be very helpful as I am very concerned that I will either lose my carer (as they will have to go to jobseekers) or most of my housing benefit and I cannot survive without both.

Many thanks

Fizz

I am afraid we do not advise on Housing Benefit, so you should get face to face advice from a trained advisor, see

Where to get advice?

However, I can tell you that it is Carers Allowance or the Sever Disability Premium, as they are mutually exclusive, so if your friend claims CA for you, you will lose the SDP from your payments.

See

ESA Premiums

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fizz, Bearer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.