× Members

Pension & Lump Sum inpact?

• Alison
  • Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #104476 by Alison
Pension & Lump Sum inpact? was created by Alison
I have at last managed to prove to my former employer (Company name removed for legal reasons) that my ME/CFS is a serious debilitating and life-changing illness, which prevents me from working, and they have now agreed to pay my pension early. I am to receive a lump sum payment and a pension of £72 per week......this will not affect my contributory ESA (Support Group). However they have agreed to backdate my pension to 1 August 2012, but will pay the arrears during 2013/14, so my P60 for that year will show 21 months of pension, which if divided by 52 weeks appears to exceed the £85 per week limit for pension, above which ESA is reduced by 50p in every £1 over the limit...............please can anyone let me know whether the DWP will accept copy letters from my pension payer confirming that the payment is for arrears and the P60 should be viewed with this in mind? Thanks
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #104487 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pension & Lump Sum inpact?

Alison wrote: I have at last managed to prove to my former employer (Company name removed for legal reasons) that my ME/CFS is a serious debilitating and life-changing illness, which prevents me from working, and they have now agreed to pay my pension early. I am to receive a lump sum payment and a pension of £72 per week......this will not affect my contributory ESA (Support Group). However they have agreed to backdate my pension to 1 August 2012, but will pay the arrears during 2013/14, so my P60 for that year will show 21 months of pension, which if divided by 52 weeks appears to exceed the £85 per week limit for pension, above which ESA is reduced by 50p in every £1 over the limit...............please can anyone let me know whether the DWP will accept copy letters from my pension payer confirming that the payment is for arrears and the P60 should be viewed with this in mind? Thanks

I would think that they would, but you will only know by providing them with the information.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law).

• Alison
  • Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago #104488 by Alison
Replied by Alison on topic Pension & Lump Sum inpact?
Thanks Gordon - I will be writing to them next week to explain the situation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #104494 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Pension & Lump Sum inpact?
DWP did not treat my backpay lumpsum as pension, did not request that I pay them back any ESA for the period that the backpay covered. I hope that your situation will be the same.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.