× Members

What defines a "Work Capability Assessment"?

• bro58
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #130811 by bro58

Jonathan wrote: Just seen this rather confusing message on GOV.UK's ESA page :

"You must go to a Work Capability Assessment while your ESA claim is being assessed. This is to see to what extent your illness or disability affects your ability to work."

The phrase "you must go" would suggest the WCA is the actual face to face assessment, which is what DWP are claiming. The word "must" also implies that it is compulsory for everyone, and doesn't suggest that a WCA can be carried out on paperwork alone, despite the plethora of empirical evidence on this forum alone which tells a different story.

I wonder if that is why DWP claim the WCA is the actual face to face assessment. This will probably have to go to a FTT to decide my case, as DWP are insisting that WCA = f2f. :(

Hi J,

That is very clumsy "lay speak" and is purely guidance for ESA Claimants.

They do need informing that it is incorrect, and it needs amending as it is very misleading. :angry:

I have given you the actual ESA Legislation, and Legislation will always overrule "Guidance"

If every members that has gone through The ESA WCA without having a F2F in the past 3-4 years that I have been a Mod were not classed as going through the WCA at all, there would be many, many thousands of members who had not gone through The WCA !! :)

I wouldn't be surprised if The DWP Employees that you are dealing with have obtained their information from The GOV.UK ESA Page that you have posted !!!! :laugh:

Don't laugh, as it is not at all beyond the realms. !! :laugh:

It should state that you must go to a Face to Face Assessment if required to !!!

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #130812 by Jonathan
Replied by Jonathan on topic What defines a "Work Capability Assessment"?
Thanks bro :)

As you say, legislation trumps guidance, and I feel a copy and paste of Regulation 23 will be en route to DWP post haste!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bro58

More
9 years 3 months ago #130819 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic What defines a "Work Capability Assessment"?
I wish you luck Jonathan, the ignorance of some DWP employees is staggering!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan

• bro58
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #130820 by bro58
Hi J

See also :

"42144 Not all claimants require a LCWA in subsequent referrals. Medical services will decide if LCW can be assessed on scrutiny of the available evidence."

DM Guide LCW & LCWRA

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.