× Members

Strategies for challenging PIP no points

More
8 years 4 months ago #147433 by Orangeblossom
Replied by Orangeblossom on topic Strategies for challenging PIP no points
Hi, Elaine, I had a thought; a friend of mine had a very difficult time with Lyme's disease at university. She had some blood tests. If there was any doubt as to the consultant's credibility, would things like blood tests confirming you had it be helpful? Also if you spoke to the GP maybe they could get you transferred to a different consultant perhaps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #147435 by Orangeblossom
Replied by Orangeblossom on topic Strategies for challenging PIP no points
OK I'm sorry please disregard my last post. It seems the diagnosis and treatment of Lyme's is somewhat controversial; see here for information which might be useful to read. Kind regards www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4489928/

More
8 years 3 months ago #149605 by elaine pyrke
Replied by elaine pyrke on topic Strategies for challenging PIP no points
I’ve only just seen Orangeblossom’s posts, a belated thank you.

I did look at the link bro gave, but the local law centre only does housing, and anyhow I don’t think I’d be eligible financially for legal aid.

‘Update’ is probably a better word than ‘progress’.

I wrote to the Tribunal Clerk asking if there were other Records of Proceedings (typed or audio), she confirmed there weren’t, but said that I could request a typed copy of the judge’s handwritten record; so I have.

She also confirmed that the leave to appeal to the upper tribunal is decided by a different judge to the one at the original tribunal.

So I have now written asking for leave to appeal to the upper tribunal – that had to be in within a month of the SoR, ie by 30 Jan. I put in a printout from the GMC website showing my doctor has not been struck off.

I have also made a complaint about the judge and the doctor to the Tribunal President. That has to be in within three months of the event complained of, so by 1 Feb.

I doubt that I will ever get an award of PIP out of this, but hopefully it will put the record straight about my doctor, and also prick the consciences of the judge and the doctor or at least cause them some inconvenience.

Thanks all

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152141 by elaine pyrke
Replied by elaine pyrke on topic Strategies for challenging PIP no points
My request to the FTT for leave to appeal to the UT was turned down, within a week, and with a bald statement ‘No error in law’. No response to my arguments at all. I had assumed that turning down such requests would be the default position, I suppose I should be grateful they didn’t keep me waiting – though I did wonder if they would deal with the complaint before turning me down flat.

Their letter included a form to apply direct to the UT, which has to be in by 8th March. I thought I’d leave it till near the deadline to see if I got anything useful from the complaint...

Today I got a letter from the judge dealing with the complaint, asking if I am going to apply direct to the UTT, so she can consider if she can make a full response to my complaint immediately or whether she needs to wait for the UTT decision. She stresses the two processes are separate but sometimes she is assisted by information that emerges during the UTT hearing.

Not sure what to make of this. She has written to others present at my original tribunal, so I don’t know what else there is to ‘emerge’.

I know the forum doesn’t advise on this, just wondering if anyone had any experience/wisdom to share. Thanks.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152144 by

elaine wrote: My request to the FTT for leave to appeal to the UT was turned down, within a week, and with a bald statement ‘No error in law’. No response to my arguments at all. I had assumed that turning down such requests would be the default position, I suppose I should be grateful they didn’t keep me waiting – though I did wonder if they would deal with the complaint before turning me down flat.

Their letter included a form to apply direct to the UT, which has to be in by 8th March. I thought I’d leave it till near the deadline to see if I got anything useful from the complaint...

Today I got a letter from the judge dealing with the complaint, asking if I am going to apply direct to the UTT, so she can consider if she can make a full response to my complaint immediately or whether she needs to wait for the UTT decision. She stresses the two processes are separate but sometimes she is assisted by information that emerges during the UTT hearing.

Not sure what to make of this. She has written to others present at my original tribunal, so I don’t know what else there is to ‘emerge’.

I know the forum doesn’t advise on this, just wondering if anyone had any experience/wisdom to share. Thanks.

Hi e,

It is not at all uncommon for The FTT to initially reject an application to appeal to The UTT !!

I have seen this happen only for The UTT to allow an appeal once the application was made directly to them.

I am not of course stating that this would necessarily be the case with you !!

If you are to try gaining permission to appeal to The UTT directly, I would not miss your deadline to do so !!

You could of course contact The Clerk to the Tribunal to gain further information about the Judge's comments.

However, as they say, they are two totally separate procedures.

When either party (DWP/You (The Appellant) ) seek leave to appeal an FTT decision to The UTT the other party will be copied in on all correspondence.

So when you requested an S of R, the DWP would also have been sent a copy, and DWP will also have be sent copy of any correspondence that you have sent to The FTT, and any correspondence that you have been sent in connection with this.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

More
8 years 2 months ago #152146 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Strategies for challenging PIP no points
Elaine

You haven't detailed the basis of your appeal to the UTT and your complaint to the TS, but I assume that it is related to the doctor's statements about your GP having been struck off at some point in time.

Although the two processes are separate it is possible that the complaint will carry more weight if a UTT Judge takes the view that the statement materially affected your right to a fair Tribunal by influencing the views of the other panel members.

Conversely, I don't see the result of the complaint having any impact on the Decision of the UTT judge, so unless you have other reasons for waiting then I would make your submission to the UTT sooner rather than later.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: elaine pyrke

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.