× Members

Preparing a meal using a microwave?

More
8 years 4 months ago #145293 by TheHud
Replied by TheHud on topic Preparing a meal using a microwave?
Foss27 if that was the case then anyone who cannot cook and has someone cook for them, goo food even, that is self fed using a wide handled spoon would fail.

I think the descriptors are mixed on this. The prepare a meal is separate to taking nutrition.

Not sure if this is PIP or ESA so shall leave it with my limited thoughts, but prepare a meal is prepare fresh veg etc as a guide, open cans or packets that meat may be in and cook requiring lifting and handling hot things safely.

Feed oneself would indeed require someone to actually need to be fed in order to get full points. Even here cutting up, blending etc may score points even if the food in the mouth bit is self administered. As would requiring observation incase of choking, or not eating at all.

If you are at risk of harm by using a microwave, in PIP even if you have to do it make it clear because it is assistance you need to avoid harm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #145298 by mommaduck
Replied by mommaduck on topic Preparing a meal using a microwave?
Hi foss,

Then heating a meal is not cooking..is it? It involves no preparation at all. No washing, peeling or chopping.

This descriptor should then not exist as they could state that everyone could buy a ready meal.. and a microwave (if they already do not own one).

It also appears that when my daughter brings me a meal over (she lives just around the corner), if it is still hot and I eat it immediately, it counts as not being able to prepare a cooked me for one. But if i leave it till later and re-heat it, then that may count as being able to cook a meal??

Not being argumentative, just trying to understand this stupid PIP system.

• foss27
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #145299 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Preparing a meal using a microwave?
Looking at the detail in the guide it definitely splits preparing and cooking into seperate activities.
You score points for not being able to prepare food or cook at all. It goes into some detail with preparing the food. It mentions cooking using a stove or a microwave but doesn't say anything further about microwaves.

My advice would be to follow the guide at all times and answer the question as fully as possible, with evidence to support any issues.

Sticking a ready meal in a microwave obviously doesn't involve any of the prep work but could be construed as being able to cook. The original query sloely asked about cooking.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by foss27.

More
8 years 4 months ago #145301 by mommaduck
Replied by mommaduck on topic Preparing a meal using a microwave?
Foss,

Putting an already cooked meal in a microwave is not actually cooking. It is just reheating.

Surely this is different to washing, chopping and peeling veg and then putting this in a microwaveable container and then cooking it? Followed by some protein (can only think that raw fish would be suitable for microwave cooking). Followed by some form of potato, or rice. I would consider this being able to cook in a microwave, although when the last ingredient is cooked, the other two would be cold, and then it would all need re-heating.

I think it is all very debatable as to what one considers preparing and cooking against simply reheating.. :blush:

More
8 years 4 months ago #145306 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Preparing a meal using a microwave?
Mommaduck

The usage of the microwave is as a replacement for a hob, the idea is that this would be safer for someone with cognitive problems, as an example, who may fail to light the gas on a hob or forget that it was on.

Although the descriptor only refers to the heating of the meal, the guidance is clear that the preparation of the food must be included as well.

Using a microwave would present additional challenges to a claimant, especially one with cognitive problems, operating the thing in the first place, using the correct settings (it is still possible to burn food in one), realising that the food is hot and being able to remove it safely from a confined place.

It would also share issues with a hob, such as whether the food was cooked or not, most microwaves suffer from hot spots and different foods cook at different rates.

To be clear, using a ready meal would not meet the test.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW

More
8 years 4 months ago #145308 by Johnny
Replied by Johnny on topic Preparing a meal using a microwave?
Hi

I may be wrong, but I have long suspected this issue of microwave has been included in PIP2 so as to highlight contradictions in claimants statements in order to 'catch out', the claimant.

I agree that using a microwave is vastly different than being able to cook a proper meal, but assessors can easily use the claimants admission of being able to use a microwave as a confirmation that the claimant can 'prepare' a meal of some sort, even though it may lack proper nutritional value.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.