× Members

Found fit for work after WCA

More
7 years 11 months ago #158684 by Jay7
Replied by Jay7 on topic Found fit for work after WCA
UPDATE!!!

Hi guys,

I WON MY TRIBUNAL!!! :woohoo:

I'd just like to say thank you to all the admins and people who have helped me with my enquiry.

My tribunal took place on 13th May 2016 and on the panel there was a judge and an independent doctor...no one from the DWP was there.

In total I scored a total of 36 points...this from a score of nil points during my WCA and MR scored by the DWP.

I satisfied schedule 2 and 3 of the descriptors and was found to have significant limited impairment in social functioning and due to cognitive impairment and mental disorder was found unfit for work and placed in the Support Group and awarded the top rate of benefit.

There is one thing I am worried about. At the end of the document it states:

Any recommendation given below does not form part of the Tribunal's decision and is not binding on the Secretary of State.

The Tribunal recommends that the Department does not reassess Mr. (surname) within 24 months from today's date.

13th May 2016

My question is this...is this legally binding? And do the DWP have the power to disregard the courts advice and challenge the decision?

Also by my reckoning I am owed about £2800 in back payment. I've re-read the rules and it plainly states in black and white on the DWP website that if the assessment takes longer than 13 weeks the benefit will be backdated to the 14th week of the claim.

The claim was started on the 22nd January 2015. So by my understanding I am entitled to back payments from around April 2015.

I did not start a new ESA claim...the claim is the same claim they brought up in court...the one I completed in January 2015.

Even if I am not entitled to that amount I am definitely entitled to something.

Can anybody give me any advice about back payments? And is there any information regarding this on the website?

Thanks in advance and thank you for all your help.

J :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158690 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Found fit for work after WCA
Jay

Congratulations of so resoundingly winning your Tribunal.

There are two aspects to the note on the Decision Letter you have referenced in your post.

The recommendation not to reassess you is just that, a recommendation, the DWP can ignore it if they want, but I would not expect them to, although they may decide to take the two years from when you first applied for ESA.

Secondly, the DWP do have a right of appeal, just as you would have had if the panel had not found in your favour, however, they cannot appeal because they disagree with the Decision, only because they can show that there were errors made by the panel in reaching it. This does not happen very often and they need to declare their intent within one month of the hearing, that is why Tribunal Decisions usually take 5-8 weeks to be processed.

I want to stress that the vast majority of appeal results are left unchallenged by the DWP.

In terms of back pay, as you have been placed in the SG you will receive;

- the difference in the assessment rate and the SG rate from week 14 of your claim to the date your were found Fit for Work, and

- the full SG rate from the day after you were found Fit for Work until your ESA is put back into payment.

I would give the DWP a few days to receive the Tribunal Decision Letter and then give them a ring just to confirm that they have it, then I am afraid you will have to wait until they process the result.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 11 months ago #158697 by Jay7
Replied by Jay7 on topic Found fit for work after WCA
Thanks for the reply Gordon...much appreciated.

I'll update as soon as I get more information regarding payment and I'll post here to let people know what happened.

Thanks again. :)

J
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
7 years 11 months ago #158723 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Found fit for work after WCA
It is very good news that the Tribunal found in your favour Jay, thanks for letting us know!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.