× Members

fibromylagia

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #149249 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic fibromylagia
Hi Sylvia,

The main thing provided by this site are the exhaustive members' guides that explain in detail what to expect from the claim process, what the descriptors actually mean and how to describe your condition in terms that the decision maker (who is not medically trained) will understand.

For PIP there are very specific criteria (the descriptors) that must be met for the benefit to be awarded. You illness must be described in terms that relate to these descriptors in order for PIP to be awarded. This is explained in the PIP guide which Gordon gave you the link for.

The forum is an additional service for members. The moderators (who are all volunteers and have our own medical problems) are here to show members where the guides are, to answer questions re the process etc. We cannot give face to face or specific advice.

If you were to ask a specific question, such as 'what does this term mean' or 'where do I find information about such and such' we are delighted to help but your queries so far have been too general.

I think you need to have a good look at our PIP guide - or ask someone to do it for you if your FMS prevents you - and then reply to this message if it has thrown up any particular queries.

PIP help for claimants

You will find this topic easily in future if you bookmark it or make it a favourite on your web browser now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by slugsta. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: cats6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sylvia
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #149259 by sylvia
Replied by sylvia on topic fibromylagia
sorry for the spelling mistake dont take it personally when i type i do get mixed up due to pain in my hands

More
8 years 2 months ago #149265 by sarahjane
Replied by sarahjane on topic fibromylagia
Sylvia, I've the condition, I'm in n Ireland, we don't have pip yet, however its more to do with how your condition affects your every day living, I used the guides on this site which are great, mine was renewed for 2 years, due again this September..... my point is take the time and go through the guides, for example mine affects the distance I can walk both good n bad days, use the guides they are excellent

• sylvia
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #149340 by sylvia
Replied by sylvia on topic fibromylagia
hi sarahjane
thanks for that.
as i said i had d l a
pip can on board and failed to get this ,my point is that how can DLA say i get it and pip says no
i ave letters from my consultant and other letters dates of hospital appointments back op injections tablets
wheream i going wrong
i feel so down hearted as i am in pain all day everyday
i gave up my bussiness as i was unable to stand or do my job .
any other suggestions

More
8 years 2 months ago #149386 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic fibromylagia
Sylvia

You cannot approach your PIP claim as you did for DLA, they have different criteria and a completely different assessment approach.

DLA looked at the amount of Care that a claimant needed, PIP looks at the severity of their problems, so as an example; someone with moderate care needs both day and night would have received the Higher rate of care under DLA, under PIP, because their conditions are only moderate they may only receive the Standard rate equivalent to MRC.

Also, PIP has been designed to reduce the disability budget by 20% as a result the criteria are a lot harder to meet than they were for DLA, again as an example; the walking distance for DLA was generally accepted as being 50m, for PIP it is only 20m.

Lastly, DLA had quite widely defined criteria, it might talk about washing and bathing but nothing more defined. PIP has very specific criteria which must be met exactly to score points.

You really need to go back to scratch, read the PIP Claim guide and in particular the criteria and look at the worked examples to see how you might explain your own limitations.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.