× Members

DLA to PIP

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #149164 by grista
DLA to PIP was created by grista
I was on DLA standard care and enhanced mobility of which I have a mobility car. I had to claim PIP I had a face to face assessment, I had a lift right up to the front door of centre and sat immediately on a chair just inside of the door in the reception area, waited about 15 mins, I was observed walking about 10metres within the assessment centre with support from another person. In the report from the assessment via justification for descriptors choice, informal observation and musculoskeletal examination the assessor reports they state I demonstrate difficulty bending and an ability to stand and balance, difficulties with sit to stand and walking, severe restrictions with lower limb movements needing assistance from another person, I can walk about 10 metres before I have to stop completely due to pain in knees, feet, back, and hips I walk extremely slow am unsteady and stumble a lot sometimes my knee gives way causing me to fall, within this 10 metre walk I have to take short breaks it is not a continuous walk then I have to sit down. After a walk of about 10 metres I am very tired breathless and in pain I have to sit down and rest and cannot attempt to walk more than a few feet at a time without resting. I have osteoarthritis affecting my neck, shoulders arms, hands, big toe and both knees. I have had a half knee replacement about 7 years ago and 1 thumb opp. I am awaiting surgery for my other thumb my big toe and my other knee replacement I cannot have these opps at the moment due to weight problem and breathing problems, I also have diabetes type 2.
I have had my decision back from PIP awarding me standard care and standard mobility this means I have lost my mobility car.
I have put in a reconsideration letter with extra medical evidence as since my face to face assessment and form I have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, I have also enclosed a letter from my GP along with letters to my GP from the 3 consultants I am under.
I was given 10 points for the moving around activity they marked me as (d) that I can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres.
I dispute this as it should have been in my opinion (e) can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres either aided or unaided.
the assessors justification choice says based on all the information it is likely that I can stand and then move using an aid more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres reliably for the majority of the time.
The assessor never once saw me walk further than about 10 metres never mentioned I took short breaks or had to lean on a door frame for extra support on the way out of the assessment.
I am now awaiting a response from my reconsideration letter if it is not changed I am very worried because I will become housebound as I can't use public transport.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #149199 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA to PIP
Hi and welcome to the forum. On the assumption that you are also new to the site, this link should help you find your way around.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I don't know if you are aware that your full name is visible to all? Many people prefer to use and alias in order to maintain a degree of anonymity. If you wish to change your username, you can do so easily by following the advice in this FAQ.

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I'm sorry that you are going through this :( All you can do at the moment s await the MR decision - although it is likely that this will not change anything. If that be the case, your next move would be to submit a formal appeal. If you have not requested a copy of the assessment report already it would be worth doing so now so that you have it if/when you need to appeal If you did not use our PIP guide to assist your claim I would certainly suggest that you do so before submitting an appeal.

PIP help for claimants

If/when you have more questions please reply to this message (rather than starting a new topic) and we will do our best to help. You might like to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you will find it easily in future :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #149253 by grista
Replied by grista on topic DLA to PIP
Thank you I was not aware my full name showed i have now changed it. I am new to forum.
I did use the guide to fill in my PIP claim, and I have got a copy of my assessment. It's just a case of the waiting game now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
8 years 3 months ago #149255 by grista
Replied by grista on topic DLA to PIP
Is it very rare that MR decisions are overturned ?

More
8 years 3 months ago #149288 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP

grista wrote: Is it very rare that MR decisions are overturned ?

The rate is quite low and lower the more detailed your original form was, but we do seem them, I think there was one earlier in the week, even if your MR does not result in the Decision being revised then you can still go to appeal, rates there are running at better than 60%. The current newsletter has details of someone who went from zero points to an Enhanced award for both components.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

• Sue Lines
8 years 3 months ago #149313 by Sue Lines
Replied by Sue Lines on topic DLA to PIP
I am in the same position as you. It's outrageous that the Govt can get away with this. Hope somebody soon comes to our rescue.
Stay positive.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.