× Members

ESA50 struggling

More
8 years 1 month ago #152526 by Shemarie
ESA50 struggling was created by Shemarie
Hello,

I have just received an ESA 50 to be returned by 31 March. I have been in the SG for three years and receive DLA. I struggle with any kind of forms, but feel particularly sick and panic stricken when it's anything to do with the DWP.

This is obviously different from the last form I filled in for ESA (that was in Nov 2012 with the award being made in June 2013). I have only reached page three and hit a problem with 'other professionals or carers'. Two of my separate consultants treating me for separate conditions have retired within the last year. I know that one has not yet been replaced, not sure about the other. My next hospital appointments are in May (I have them twice a year), so not sure how to deal with that question.

I called my GP for an appointment for an updated general medical report and to see if she could advise me about the consultants, but the earliest appointment available with her is 23 March. Can anyone suggest a way to approach this without missing the 31 March deadline? My mind seems to close down and I can't focus when faced with these forms.

I am also unsure about how far back to go in providing supporting evidence. Should I include all important hospital reports etc. since I last filled the forms in in Nov 2012?

Advice much appreciated, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #152528 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA50 struggling
Hi Shemarie,

As far as your consultants are concerned, I don't think I would worry too much as the chance of them being asked for information regarding your claim is very slim! Maybe give their names, explain that they are now retired but that your records will still be in the department if needed?

Your GP might be prepared to give you a letter of support, although increasingly few are doing so these days. If they will, something that references the ESA descriptors would be of most help.

There is nothing in law that allows an extension for returning the ESA50 so you should be sure to get it back in time. If really neccessary, you can include a sentence or two explaining that you will be sending additional information/evidence later. Don't forget to keep a record of the address if you do this!

If it would be easier, you can fill in the PDF version of the ESA50 and submit that instead of the copy you were sent. Don't forget to make full use of our ESA guides!

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

ESA claims and appeals

If/when you have further questions about your ESA claim, please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. It makes our lives so much easier if everything relating to the same subject is kept in on e place! You will find this easily in future if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now. Thank you in advance for your co-operation in this matter :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shemarie

More
8 years 1 month ago #152529 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA50 struggling
Shemarie

As you do not have the names of the Consultants there is nothing that you can do, even if you did, as they have not seen you they cannot make any comments beyond what is in your notes, if they were inclined to respond at all.

Your best choice at the moment would appear to be your GP as they will have received correspondence from your old Consultants every time they saw you.

That said, do not rely on Maximus contact even your GP as part of the re-assessment as they rarely do, you would be better off sourcing your own evidence as you can, although I appreciate that this may be difficult.

Those assessing you tend to ignore any evidence that is older than two years, however, many letters and reports put a "stake in the ground" and are worth including, for example a diagnosis letter or a letter that details the state of your conditions, this is particularly the case if you have conditions that are unlikely to improve, even with treatment, or are in fact going to deteriorate.

If you have more questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #152532 by Shemarie
Replied by Shemarie on topic ESA50 struggling
Thank you Gordon. Yes, I will include them as they do detail diagnoses.

More
8 years 1 month ago #152536 by Shemarie
Replied by Shemarie on topic ESA50 struggling
Sorry, one more question I forgot to ask.

I would normally have received letters by now telling me how much ESA and DLA I would be receiving for next year, but have received nothing.

Would this be because I was due for reassessment having been in the SG for three years? Have other people received these letters?

Many thanks.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #152544 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA50 struggling
It seems that some of the uprating letters have not yet been sent out. I'm afraid you cannot draw any conclusions from this!

Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by slugsta.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.