× Members

Claim cancelled for failure to attend medical

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #155679 by Gordon

Matsarh wrote: Just as a quick update, DWP have said she will have to have a medical before she gets paid again. The ESA50 has been returned so we are waiting now for an appt. She was too distressed to claim JSA as she could not cope with the Jobcentre environment so we had no choice but to make a new ESA claim based on worsening condition, which her GP has supported with a letter. In the meantime she has not been paid since 17.2.16 and nothing on the horizon, so it has been food parcels. I am waiting for the Jobcentre to come back to me about the Hardship Allowance but not optimistic as she is not classed as having a disability and has no children.

I'm afraid you are doing everything that you can at the moment, everyone assumes that the benefit system provides a safety net for these types of situation but the reality is that it doesn't always do this.

You can contact Maximus to try and get a short notice appointment, if this fails then try involving your clients MP.

Contacting your MP

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155852 by Matsarh
Replied by Matsarh on topic Claim cancelled for failure to attend medical
Good morning
Our MP's secretary is going to see if anything can be done to get some money to my client. I was explaining to her that this is the fourth person that this has happened to this year that I know of - appointment. letters for medicals not received and the claim closed at lightening speed. All the claimants have mental health problems and are hard to engage with, but I said it feels as if DWP are pushing them into a corner to make them respond, but it is leaving people in desperate hardship - especially if they do not have other disability money or child benefits in payment.

Do you have any experience of this from your correspondence? Is it something you come across very often?
If you have anything similar I would be happy to mention it as she said she would raise it with the Minister.
Thanks

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155866 by Gordon
Matsarh

We do see this maybe 5 or 6 times a year, more usually because the claimant has not attended rather than there failing to receive notice of an appointment.

As we have no contact details for our members on the forum there's really no information we could supply but I thank you for the offer.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matsarh

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.