× Members

ESA50 advice please

More
8 years 1 month ago #152830 by Shemarie
ESA50 advice please was created by Shemarie
Hi there,

I have started putting pen to paper for the ESA50 and going through the guides. Thank God for them, I wouldn't have a clue otherwise.

Looking at the SG for substantial risk factors, eg: increase in symptoms, deterioration/stability/improvement in condition. Even though I have specific examples of these, I can't figure out how/where to include them in the questions.

Also, and importantly I think, the way the form is structured and the questions arranged seems to make it nigh on impossible to demonstrate a clear link between deterioration or stability of mental and physical conditions. An example would be an increase in physical pain provoking a deterioration of a mental condition and vice versa.

Sorry if the answer's looking me in the face. Advice appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #152833 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic ESA50 advice please
Hi Shemarie

One suggestion (though I am sure many others are possible) - if you can't find an appropriate place to put your descriptions of the links between various aspects of your illness and the accompanying symptoms - why not put them at the end of the form. There is a space specifically for any other observations, comments etc - gather your thoughts together, make a list of what causes which actions/reactions and draw (or write) a flow chart/ diagram/equation showing the relationship between cause and effect. It doesn't have to be too complicated, but I think you do have to be able to show that your doctor/consultant's medical findings support your observations.

The forms do not make it easy to explain the problems you are having, so you have to make your own simplified explanation. If you feel that there is a link between activity and reaction, then show it.

I'm sure other members/Mods will have other, probably better suggestions. I hope so! Keep calm and carry on (as they say) and try not to get too stressed out about the whole thing. (I know, easy for me to say!) The answers isn't looking you in the face, but it is out there.

More
8 years 1 month ago #152841 by Shemarie
Replied by Shemarie on topic ESA50 advice please
Many thanks, Shelam. I'm hoping that my doctor will be able to move the report within the timescale, but that's another story. Suggestion appreciated, thanks.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #152905 by Shemarie
Sorry to have to get back again. It's embarrassing. Another sleepless night and can't seem to make sense of anything. Two things: looking at SG for descriptors, is it 15 points across applicable descriptors, eg: say, 9 points for one descriptor and 9 for another separate one equalling 18 points total? Or is it scoring a full 15 points for a single descriptor?

Also, requesting a home visit if a face-to-face is necessary. Do you request this within the ESA50 form itself? or at a later stage in the process?

Again, clarification appreciated. Thanks.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #152946 by
Replied by on topic ESA50 advice please

Shemarie wrote: Sorry to have to get back again. It's embarrassing. Another sleepless night and can't seem to make sense of anything. Two things: looking at SG for descriptors, is it 15 points across applicable descriptors, eg: say, 9 points for one descriptor and 9 for another separate one equalling 18 points total? Or is it scoring a full 15 points for a single descriptor?

Also, requesting a home visit if a face-to-face is necessary. Do you request this within the ESA50 form itself? or at a later stage in the process?

Again, clarification appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Sm,

Yes, if you are to request a Home Assessment, you should do so on a separate A4 page explaining why you require one and send it with your ESA50.

It would help if you could also obtain a letter from your treating HCP/G.P. supporting a Home Assessment, which you should attach a copy of to your A4 page.

The qualifying SG Activities/Descriptors are not points based, although some but not all of The WRAG Activities/Descriptors that score the maximum 15 points also correspond to some of the SG Activities/Descriptors.

To qualify for The WRAG you have to score 15 points cumulatively across all/any of the : The Functional WRAG (LCW)Schedule 2 Activities/Descriptors

This can be achieved by either scoring the 15 points under one Activity alone, or by adding the points together from different Activities to score the minimum 15 points required.

If you can't qualify for The WRAG that way, the other option is via : ESA Reg 29 for entry to The WRAG (LCW)

PLUS Post 28/01/13 Amendment of :

(3) Paragraph (2)(b) does not apply where the risk could be reduced by a significant amount by—

(a)reasonable adjustments being made in the claimant’s workplace;

or

(b)the claimant taking medication to manage the claimant’s condition where such medication has been prescribed for the claimant by a registered medical practitioner treating the claimant.”.

From : www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3096/regulation/3/made

To gain entry to The SG, you must show that you fulfil just one, any one of : The Functional Support Group (SG) (LCWRA) Schedule 3 Activities/Descriptors

Or if you can't gain entry to The SG that way, via : ESA Reg 35 for entry to The SG (LCWRA)

The ESA WCA basically consists of two "Tests" carried out at the same time !

Firstly they see whether you can gain entry to The WRAG as described above, if you can't you will be found "fit for work".

If you can, you are classed as having Limited Capability for Work. (LCW) (Being unfit for work)

Once they assess you as having LCW, they then look at whether you can also qualify for The SG as described above.

If you can't, you would be placed into The WRAG. If you can, you would be placed into The SG and be classed as also having Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (LCWRA) (Also unfit to take part in Work Related Activity [WRA] ) as well as you having LCW.

So there are 3 possible outcomes :

1. Fit for work.

2. WRAG (LCW) Unfit for work, but fit enough to take part in WRA.

3. SG (LCWRA) Unfit for work and unfit to take part in WRA.

All this is explained in our ESA Claims Guides.

See the following also :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Whilst referring to the guides on this page, 2nd & 3rd links down :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or Maximus. (aka CHDA, aka HAAS.)

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now. That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

See : This Topic also !

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all your ESA related queries to this topic ! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago #153990 by Shemarie
Hi there. I'm doing my best to crack on with the form (and feeling nauseous about the Budget). I've hit a bit of a wall and would appreciate clarification.
It's specifically about the 'use this space/ if you need more space'. I'm trying to provide as much detail as possible to be as accurate as possible (for the relevant questions, that is). In these specific places, is it possible to provide too much detail and information? Ditto page 5 'conditions, illnesses and disabilities' (I don't mean supporting medical evidence).
Thanks.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.