× Members

Got My PIP Date ..

• Palimpsest
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #150001 by Palimpsest
Got My PIP Date .. was created by Palimpsest
First .. Hello (I'm new)

Second, help/advice appreciated.

I had an accident at work in 1987, extensive burns to right hand, arm, neck, ear, scalp. Deaf in right ear, badly scarred on neck/ear, right hand is a mess; fragile skin/weak grip/poor dexterity/somewhat atrophied/hypermobility of thumb.

Awarded IIDB (25%) in 1989, progressively reduced function of hand over the years led to reduced capacity for work and income. Saw a Benefits Advisor in 2008, was told to apply for increase in IIDB, and also apply for REA and DLA (the latter two were unknown to me)

ATOS (bless them) reduced my IIDB BUT approved the REA award (lost £13.00 a week gained £54.00) was also awarded DLA Lower Rate Care - Indefinite.

2016, letter to say DLA over apply for PIP (had no idea this was pending) looking at your PIP Assessment guide I'm struggling to hit six points ... BUT I'm actually now in far worse state than I was in 2008.

Last year I was required to have a Subacromial Decropression and Rotator Cuff Repair to my LEFT shoulder (great both limbs b*ggered) and (it gets worse) my right hand (the grafted one) needed a total wrist fusion and a partial thumb fusion (Dr couldn't say this was entirely the fault of the burns, but she felt it was highly likely)

So my right hand is now entirely grated on the back, palm partly grafted, no wrist joint, only two thumb joints.

EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) is a struggle, I now need financial support more than ever (mainly for meals as I am totally unable to prepare food) the loss of my DLA will be a HUGE blow.

Do I have ANY chance of being awarded PIP?

NB: Also deaf in one ear due to accident, also take heavy medication for anxiety/depression/mood swings.

Bit long this sorry but .....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150018 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic Got My PIP Date ..
Hi Palimpsest

Looking at the 'Daily Living Activities' section of the PIP form, from what you have said you might score points in a few areas.

Preparing food - you've indicated you have a great deal of difficulty in this area. Enlarge on this so that you explain the lack of movement and/or strength in your hands/arms, and whether you can safely manage to lift and carry.

Taking nutrition - do you need help to cut up your food and carry it from your plate to your mouth? explain fully any problems you have. Can you hold a cup/knife/fork?

Difficulty with movement of hands/arms - does it cause problems with washing/bathing/shaving. Explain how it affects you.

Managing your toilet needs (embarrassing, I know, but if you have difficulties make it clear what these problems are. You are not looking anyone in the eye while you are explaining!!!

Dressing/undressing. If your arms/hands have only limited movement, explain whether you can address these issues. Or not, as the case may be.

Make sure you explain fully what the problems are, and support your claim with medical evidence, from your GP and your Consultant and any other medical professionals you may use - physiotherapist, occupational therapist etc. and you might get the points you need and want.

Good luck

• Palimpsest
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #150027 by Palimpsest
Replied by Palimpsest on topic Got My PIP Date ..
Hello Shelam

Thanks for the response.

Inability to prepare food was the reason I was awarded DLA in 2008 so I 'shouldn't' have an issue establishing that. The rest well as you say I'll have to ensure I give examples etc, plus showing a number of 'aids' I use.

Am I really expected to get supporting letters from the many (MANY) health care professionals, I've seen in the last year (2 x Consultants, 2 x Physio, 1 x Occupational Therapist, 1 x GP, various Radiologists etc etc) do Capita not chase this up themselves if one provides the names/contact details?

I really don't need this with the state I'm in at the moment, I had a call only today asking me to attend (another) CT Scan, because the skin on my hand is so thin, the titanium plate used to fuse the wrist in breaking the skin ... so has to come out, Scan is to determine how much the bones have fused.

So being dragged into the wholes Assessment caper is depressing beyond belief.

• Palimpsest
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #150028 by Palimpsest
Replied by Palimpsest on topic Got My PIP Date ..
Hello

I'm in Llandudno, North Wales.

Looking at the Capita site it seems Cardiff is the nearest Assessment centre, surely they won't make me trail all that way??

More
8 years 2 months ago #150030 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Got My PIP Date ..
Palimpsest

Please make sure that you refer to the PIP Claim guide, the Preparing Food activity for PIP, whilst similar to the DLA one, does have important differences in the criteria that you will need to show that you meet.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #150033 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Got My PIP Date ..

Palimpsest wrote: Hello

I'm in Llandudno, North Wales.

Looking at the Capita site it seems Cardiff is the nearest Assessment centre, surely they won't make me trail all that way??

I suspect that there will be a nearer Assessment Centre, try looking East into England, Wrexham or Chester or even Liverpool would be closer. They can ask you to travel up to 90 minutes each way.

If you want to ask for a home assessment then you will need to ask your GP for a letter of support explaining why you cannot attend at a Capita office.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.