× Members

PIP medical

More
7 years 11 months ago #158290 by Ian
PIP medical was created by Ian
I have a face to face medical in a few weeks could anybody give me any advice as I am very nervous. thanks :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158294 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic PIP medical
Hello Ian

Sorry you're feeling nervous about your medical - quite natural!

Things to remember - you're being assessed from the minute you appear in view of the medical centre - someone will possibly be watching to see how you arrive and whether you have mobility problems etc.

Remind yourself exactly what you said in your application; don't expect the assessor to have any previous knowledge of your application, so your answers to him/her should tally with what you have written on your application.

If you are asked to do something you are uncomfortable doing, something that will cause you pain or distress, you are within your rights to refuse to do it, BUT you must explain why you are refusing (e.g. it is too painful, it makes you breathless etc)

You don't give any details of your illness/disability - so it's difficult to give specific information to you; you will be asked to perform some physical activity, you will be watched to see how you cope with that activity - don't push yourself beyond what is comfortable.

It might be wise to take someone with you for moral support; it is a stressful situation to be in, and a family member or a friend will be able to reassure you if you get upset/panicky, and they should be able to help you to remember any problems/issues you might otherwise forget to mention.

If you read through the guides, there is loads of information in them to help you prepare for your assessment. Good luck :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
7 years 11 months ago #158607 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic PIP medical
Hello Shelam,

Thank you for your advise. I am so bervous I find that i just cant concentrate and take in whats happening. I ve read the guide notes but worry I havent taken them in.

I have had a disc prolapse with nerve damage causing server leg pain as well as cronic back pain. I have had surgery but it didnt help. I am on high level of pain killers and this has been ongoing for 8 years, I am just so scared that they dont understand and if I dont explain properly.

Thanks again for yout help.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158633 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP medical

Ian wrote: Hello Shelam,

Thank you for your advise. I am so bervous I find that i just cant concentrate and take in whats happening. I ve read the guide notes but worry I havent taken them in.

I have had a disc prolapse with nerve damage causing server leg pain as well as cronic back pain. I have had surgery but it didnt help. I am on high level of pain killers and this has been ongoing for 8 years, I am just so scared that they dont understand and if I dont explain properly.

Thanks again for yout help.

Try and tackle the guide in smaller junks and perhaps make some short notes as you go through it. there's a section towards the back that covers the assessment and the questions you are likely to be asked.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian

More
7 years 11 months ago #158649 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic PIP medical
Thank you Gordon,

I have lived with this for the past 8 years and know what i ve been through, but not sure on dates. would knowing whats wrong with me go against me?

Is there anything that I should or shouldnt do?

I can only tell them how i am and i would never lie, but its best to know what to expect.

Many thanks :)

More
7 years 11 months ago #158660 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP medical

Ian wrote: Thank you Gordon,

I have lived with this for the past 8 years and know what i ve been through, but not sure on dates. would knowing whats wrong with me go against me?

Is there anything that I should or shouldnt do?

I can only tell them how i am and i would never lie, but its best to know what to expect.

Many thanks :)

Every assessment is different although they all follow a similar script/

Don't rush to answer a question, try and take time to make sure you understand what is being asked. Although the assessor will ask "open" questions they are trying to make your answer fit to one of maybe a handful of standard response so they may push you in one direction or another, often the direction is to your detriment so don't be afraid to push back.

Try not to elaborate your answer and if there is a silence, don't try and fill it.

If you have mobility problems then we have seen the assessor ask how long you can walk for, so it might be worth your timing yourself over several days, also, if you are restricted to your house normally then we have seen some simply ridiculous distances quoted from where a claimant normally sits to the bathroom, again try and measure it.

Best of luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.