× Members

achieved SVR, will i still get ESA and PIP?

More
7 years 10 months ago #161505 by Nigel2671
Hi - i am currently receiving ESA (support Group - contribution based) and PIP (daily living component at enhanced rate).

I have recently completed 6 months Harvoni treatment and at 3 months post treatment i am still acheiving SVR and looking like it will hopefully be the same at 6 months and officially cleared :)

Due to the ravishes of Hep C, i also suffer from Cirrhosis of the Liver, Esophageal varices, Portal Hypertension and Diabetes.

I do feel better and have more energy, but still suffer with crippling fatigue, foggy head and insomnia (probably due to the Cirrhosis)

My question is this, if i achieve SVR at 6 months and i am officially clear of the virus i presume i will need to inform ESA and PIP, but will i still be entitled to these benefits due to my other health issues if my symptoms are virtually unchanged ? In other words will i now have to go throught the nightmare of being re-assessed.

many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #161507 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic achieved SVR, will i still get ESA and PIP?
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

This is a tricky one!

You could argue that being virus-free makes no difference as it is not that, per se, that causes your difficulties. However, I can't see DWP agreeing that that opinion!

To avoid problems in the future, I think you probably have to notify DWP, As you fear, this will probably trigger a reassessment and all that entails :(

If/when you do notify, make it as clear as you possibly can that your limitations continue as they are caused by things other than your viral load.

Don't forget to use our ESA guide when completing the ESA50

ESA claims and appeals

You might want to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. This will allow you to return with further questions/comments without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nigel2671

More
7 years 10 months ago #161525 by Nigel2671
Replied by Nigel2671 on topic achieved SVR, will i still get ESA and PIP?
Thanks for your reply, very much appreciated. i honestly don't think i could go through that again, not sure my health could take it!!

i realise this is probably not advisable, (just thinking out load really) but if i were to simply not inform the DWP about my SVR and to argue my case at a later date, if i lost, i would presumably then have to pay back any benefits claimed during that period?

just reading that back, it sounds dumb, maybe not a good idea.

If i am re-assessed, will i still be in receipt of my current benefits ESA and PIP) while the re-assessment is ongoing?

thanks

More
7 years 10 months ago #161529 by Nigel2671
Replied by Nigel2671 on topic achieved SVR, will i still get ESA and PIP?
If/when i do notify DWP, will i still receive my benefits while i am being reassessed?

thanks

More
7 years 10 months ago #161548 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic achieved SVR, will i still get ESA and PIP?
Nigel

You must tell the DWP about any improvement in your conditions, failing to do so could result in you being penalised especially if it is determined that there has been an overpayment as a result. We can't advise whether there has been an improvement, only you can do this.

If you report a Change and you are reassessed then your current award remains in payment until a new Decision is made.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nigel2671

More
7 years 10 months ago #161565 by Limbolife
Replied by Limbolife on topic achieved SVR, will i still get ESA and PIP?
Hi I also achieved SVR 10 years ago but was left with persisting debilitating sides from the interferon so understand where you are at. Explain to the DWP that you have just been through gruelling immunotherapy and although you have achieved SVR you are suffering with side effects from the treatment and are not yet recovered.You could ask your hep c nurse for a letter confirming your situation. Congratulations on attaining SVR!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.