× Members

Keeping a diary?

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #161837 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Keeping a diary? was created by rayisfun@hotmail.com
I have OCD, depression and anxiety. I am waiting for an ES50 form and an assessment for ESA. My benefit adviser suggested I keep a diary of how my illness affects me. I'm not sure if I can do this because the last thing I want to do when my symptoms are severe which is most days is write about it. I have to force myself to deal with this as it's makes me panicky and I often feel there's no point. Is a diary a record for the assessor or for my own help? My illness doesn't vary greatly and follows the same pattern. I rarely go out and the few friends I have rarely visit so most of the days are the same.

The adviser asked me hypothetical questions about things I wouldn't normally do like go to three appointments in a row or travel to somewhere unknown. If I avoid these things due to my anxiety then how can I write about them in a diary?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161853 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Keeping a diary?

Spectralis wrote: I have OCD, depression and anxiety. I am waiting for an ES50 form and an assessment for ESA. My benefit adviser suggested I keep a diary of how my illness affects me. I'm not sure if I can do this because the last thing I want to do when my symptoms are severe which is most days is write about it. I have to force myself to deal with this as it's makes me panicky and I often feel there's no point. Is a diary a record for the assessor or for my own help? My illness doesn't vary greatly and follows the same pattern. I rarely go out and the few friends I have rarely visit so most of the days are the same.

The adviser asked me hypothetical questions about things I wouldn't normally do like go to three appointments in a row or travel to somewhere unknown. If I avoid these things due to my anxiety then how can I write about them in a diary?

It's entirely up to you, it sounds as if there is some fluctuation in your condition and a diary can help to explain how it changes over time.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #161895 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Keeping a diary?
Hi Spectralis,

I understand it can be difficult writing about your problems on a daily basis but a diary, however brief, can be extremely helpful to anybody assessing your capability. It's generally more accurate than simply recalling off the top of your head the last few weeks/months.

Good luck,

Derek

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris