× Members

PIP assessment-ran out of time!!

More
7 years 6 months ago #169566 by Beaufort4
Replied by Beaufort4 on topic PIP assessment-ran out of time!!
I had my third-time-lucky second half of my assessment the other day......
Unfortunately I was greeted by a different assessor who said it was impossible for me to be seen by the first one again.
I reluctantly went into the room.

She said she could see where the previous assessor had ended her notes and the assessment could be continued from there but she'd prefer to go through it all again as she didn't know me.
I wasn't in a position to say no so went along with it. Good job I did!
A substantial amount of the information I'd told her was incorrect on the computer e.g. several medication dosages and what it was being taken for and a couple of illnesses were wrong.

The assessor queried my correction, implying that it was me who was wrong (and of course I'm not a medical professional) so I simply showed her my original PIP form, consultants letters and matching prescription boxes.

During questioning she started referring to a condition I have by a completely different name. I replied, correcting her mistake, but she continued to make an enormous mistake.
She asked if I'd had blood tests and MRI scans for diagnosis.
I said that I hadnt because I didn't need them and corrected her again.
I realised she was filling my from in very wrongly and not listening to me at all.

Consequently, after over an hour had passed before we were onto the second part of the assessment - I commented about over running. It fell on deaf ears.
I have to say I felt this part was rushed.
She asked how many floors my house had. I said 3. I wasn't asked if I actually go to the top floor!

'Can' I drive a manual car?'
I replied, Yes, that's what I passed my test on.
She assumed I had driven to the appointment.
I corrected her and said that I had been driven there and that I don't own a car any more.
She said 'yes, but could you drive a manual car?
The answer I gave was - yes I know how to drive one, but I'm not sure if on all my meds I would be safe to do so.
But I don't have one so I don't.

She asked who hoovers my house. I said I don't bother much. She said that it would need doing.
How does she know how dirty my house may or may not be?!
So I explained that the floors are either tiled or wood and she left it at that. I do vacuum when I'm feeling up to it!

Finally I was asked to squeeze her first two fingers on both hands simultaneously. I was wearing a wrist brace with a metal reinforced palm on one hand so that was tricky.
I was then asked to touch my toes. That wasn't happening!

She then said 'That's it, bye!' A little abrupt.

I went in at 11.55am and came out at 1.40pm.
From my phone calls to Capita I know the put on my notes for me to have a break, water etc.
I didn't receive anything. Even when I broke down in tears.

Also after the first assessment I was offered a home assessment but I refused this as I was told the whole thing would start from scratch. I could have gone for this option after all.

I would appreciate advice on whether I send new information regarding new illnesses and treatment to the DWP. This wouldn't have been included in the PIP form.

Also what do I do about the assessor filling my form in wrong? I don't actually know what she put but I'm sure she's given me a nasty illness I don't have and won't match up to the info I gave!
I'm pretty sure my GP will be contacted about this and I'll look look liar!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #169579 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP assessment-ran out of time!!

Beaufort4 wrote: I would appreciate advice on whether I send new information regarding new illnesses and treatment to the DWP. This wouldn't have been included in the PIP form.

Also what do I do about the assessor filling my form in wrong? I don't actually know what she put but I'm sure she's given me a nasty illness I don't have and won't match up to the info I gave!
I'm pretty sure my GP will be contacted about this and I'll look look liar!!

If you do not send the information then the Decision Maker cannot take it into account, send it to the DWP office dealing with your claim marked for the attention of the Decision Maker.

As to the report, if you are making a complaint about the assessment being split and the problems with the appointments then the issue would be worth including, but in isolation I think you will find it difficult to make much of it at the moment, the bottom line is that it was never submitted to the DWP. If the award is not what you hope and the issues are visible in the report that is used by the DWP then this would be another matter.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 5 months ago #172764 by Beaufort4
I'm going to keep updating this in case it is of any help to someone.

I received my PIP decision the other day.....(I had been receiving lower rates of DLA and hadn't had an assessment for the DWP to reach their decision).....I scored absolutely NO POINTS at all even though my situation had changed for the worse.

The accompanying letter stated, among other distortions of what I said, that I'm not seeing a doctor for condition A or B, when I had enclosed names, addresses, phone numbers Tec, also that I was not on significant medication......only 11 prescriptions currently and one at at consultant prescribed dosage 7x the normal one.
I'm not sure how much medication one has to take in order to be considered unwell!! I would imagine some claimants take none and others take more than me-I'm unsure what sort of guideline this is?

I phoned to request a 'Mandatory Reconsideration'. I was asked there and then for the extra info or to state my reasons.
(I had been advised by Welfare Rights that the phone call is the first step, then I'd get a call to state my reasons (for which I'd be prepared), then I'd be allowed to follow this up in writing.)

I gave the woman on the phone, a few off the cuff quotes from the DWP decision letter and asked if I could write down the rest. She said I would have 30days. She stated she made a note of this on my file.

3 days later, I received a text message stating that the DWP had all the info they needed and not to send anything in.

Again I phoned the DWP, told them I was compiling a letter, that was going to take some time as it was going to be a more detailed version of my original PIP claim, because none of the info I supplied appeared to have been considered.

She said she'd made a note on my file.

I have 24 days left to do it.

More
7 years 5 months ago #172765 by Beaufort4
I forgot to ask:

1. Do I request a Mandatory Reconsideration in writing?
I telephoned the DWP who, I assume, put this in motion as I mentioned in my previous post.

2. Do I need to request my Assesment Report before I submit my letter re MR?
Do I do this by phone or in writing? There is also the problem of timescale as I have just over 3 weeks to respond, my letter could take a week to arrive and they then have to print the document and post to me. I have some info on the decision letter.

I greatly appreciate the advice given here.

More
7 years 5 months ago #172786 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP assessment-ran out of time!!
Beaufort

The DWP have been warned about adding steps to the MR process and here we have welfare rights agreeing that those steps should be done!!!! :(

If you are happy that the DWP have taken your phone call as a request for an MR then there is no need for you to make a request in writing.

I would request the Assessment report but If it does not arrive in time for you to submit your letter, then go ahead without it. In fact, although you appear to have been given four weeks to provide additional information I would submit it a week earlier if you can. It needs to get to the DWP and make it's way through their internal mail system and we too often see the claimants letter passing the MR letter in the mail.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.